These 4 pigs have 2 days left

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Mon May 31, 2004 5:02 pm

Poor Hedwig. What sad news.

wheeky8

Post   » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:57 pm

Shannon was just here and she took Betty, Barney, Gordon and Carlene off to her place. I gave her all their info and sent Barney's meds w/ him so she'd know what he'd already been treated with and how long.
We discussed whether or not to send Eddie (Edison), but decided we'd just keep him here so Hanky (now named Thomas) would be able to stay w/ his dad, so he could teach Thomas how to be a big pig.
We sent Gordon along, as he was constantly harrassing Ted ever since they arrived. Ted now has a huge glop of Gordon's boar glue all over his butt end. He'd just squeal, and not do anything to get Gordon away from him. So we'll pair Ted up w/ a kinder gentler friend who's not going to abuse him. *L*
The two lilac sows will stay with us for a while. They're both getting really restless and we figured they're getting really close, so we're not going to move them again until after they wean their babies.
Steiner is now a permanent resident. He's now my husband's new buddy. I don't know if he'll rename him or not. We already have a pig named Einstein. I just love his blue ears!
Penelopig, while a cute name, reminds me of Porky Pig. So she's now named Lily. We're going to try to pair her with Andromeda, one of our single young sows.
We would have liked to have kept them all, but we just can't right now. They are all really sweet lap pigs, though. I have no doubt they'll charm someone into taking them home.

critterluv02

Post   » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:10 pm

Oh, I am so glad to hear that your husband has taken a liking to my Steiner. That pig is so special. I know Einstein is a common name, but with that huge white hair which goes in every direction possible, I just couldn't think of anything else. It seems so fitting for him.

Glad to hear the Thomas and Edison will be staying together. They seem to get along well.

The trip and yet another change must have done Gordon in. He and Ted were the best of friends while they were here and could always be found laying side by side in their hidey holes. I am glad you will have someone else for Ted to room with, he is a sweety.

Does Shannon post here? I would love an update on whatever happens with Barney. If she doesn't post here, could you email me her email address? I won't be a pain, I just want to keep in touch until I find out where he ends up. He was my other little heart throb.

Thanks so much for letting us know where everyone is and how they are doing. I cannot wait to see photos of the babies. I am just so curious as to what colors they will be.

wheeky8

Post   » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:34 pm

No, I've never seen Shannon post here. Her shelter email is cavycareinc@yahoo.com .
I forgot to tell her that Betty and Barney were once bonded, so I sent her an email after she left letting her know that Barney could be neutered and they could/should get put back together if possible.
They're hard to let go, even after just a day. We took each of them outside and video taped them for posterity. My husband really liked Gordon's cool hair, but he also liked Steiner too. I told him he had to choose. If he had his way, we would have kept them all. I would have too, if I thought we had the room.

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:13 pm

Glad to hear they are all doing so well. I would not have thought that Steiner would become everyone's favorite -- so full of attitude. But then, I just got to bathe and medicate, not cuddle him.

That is the experience that we had with Gordon and Ted too. Critterluv, did you remember to tell Wheeky about Ted's hopping?

wheeky8

Post   » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:34 pm

Hopping? I hadn't noticed. He spends most of his time hiding.
Maybe he was previously housed with rabbits and got stomped on?

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:26 pm

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of Hedwig.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:58 pm

Thanks so much for the update. And a huge thank you and bless you to everyone who helped these animals.

critterluv02

Post   » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:21 pm

Nope, I forgot to put on his sheet that Chary noticed him to hop with his back feet. That seemed to diminish while he was here. I did see it occasionally, but he used each foot separately more often. Perhaps it was an early sign of Vitamin C deficiency that is resolving itself with proper nutrition? Sorry to have left that out.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:43 am

C deficiency was my thought too. He only did it when he ran.

wheeky8

Post   » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:54 pm

Another update.
All of the piggies are doing well, and eating tons! No, there's no babies yet, we're *still* waiting.... The mommas have been renamed Maggie (the lighter colored, VERY pregnant one) and Amelia. We thought Maggie was going to deliver soon a couple of days ago, as she was getting very territorial about her 'personal space'. But, not yet.

Ted is now Leonardo DaVinci. I still haven't seen any hopping when he' s out for floor time. We've discovered he's a jumper and escape artist when we go to spot clean. He'll jump clean over the dustpan, and calmly goes walking out onto the floor four or five times while you're trying to sweep, like he takes that little 'stroll' everyday. He's so funny.

Steiner's a goof as well. He had just had his cage cleaned and a new pile of hay put in, and he goes tugging on his towels, dumping his pellet crock, and burrows under them, thoroughly making a huge mess out of his nice clean cage. Pellets and hay *everywhere*, I tell you! We laughed so hard because he looked so silly looking up at us from under the towels, like "What did I do?"

critterluv02

Post   » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:22 pm

Thanks so much for the wonderful update! I am so happy to hear that Steiner is up to his normal self. His character really stole my heart. I am pretty sure Leonardo's hopping was a temporary condition when he was lacking in Vitamin C. I am glad you are not seeing it anymore. He sounds like he is blooming with personality as well.

I need to email Shannon to check on my Barney boy. I haven't been in touch with her yet.