150-200 Guinea Pigs in Ann Arbor, MI

Jeikun

Post   » Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:22 pm

Here is a cut and paste of the message I posted at Caviesgalore:

"Hi,

Haven´t been in here for a long time, so maybe you don´t remember me. I was just told by someone at the Humane Society of Huron Valley in Ann Arbor, that they will be soon be taking in 150-200 guinea pigs.
She came in to my store (yes I work in a pet store, please reserve the boos and hisses) to ask if we could find homes for some, but we don´t sell Guinea Pigs often and we´re full right now. So other than voulenteering some of my time, I can´t do much to help.
She didn´t know the condition of the Guinea Pigs, health or otherwise, so I don´t have any other facts for you, just that alot of Guinea Pigs are going to need homes real soon. She said she´s already in touch with 2 rescues, but not sure if they can help or not (and I´m not even sure which ones).
Here is the number for the HSHV - (734) 662-4365. If you get more information than I have given, please post it here for others. Thank-you for helping!!

- Jason"

I haven´t received any new info since then, but if anyone is in the area or interested, please contact them!

Thanks,
Jason

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:42 pm

Wow! That´s alot of pigs! Michigan? Thanks for posting. I hope they can find homes.

pinta

Post   » Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:18 pm

Maybe they could contact the big pet stores in the state like PETsMART and Petco and asked if they can accept some instead of buying pigs from breeders.

They could prominently label the cages that these are rescue pigs and they need homes since the SPCAs and Rescues are full up. They could also add they took the pigs in rather than see them euthanized.

Jeikun

Post   » Sat Jul 06, 2002 12:14 am

Well, from what I heard, 130 guinea pigs, and several kittens were siezed from a petstore in Ypsilanti. They were in the back room, being kept in rubbermaid storage bins, and 20 gallon aquariums. Unfortunately, all but 13 guinea pigs had to be euthanized. I did not see them, but from what I hear, they were nearly starved, dehydrated, and covered head to toe with scabs.

The 13 surviving guinea pigs are babies, and are not yet available for adoption. I will post as soon as I have been contacted that they are. Hopefully this will put that pet store out of buisness, but it still won´t help the 117 Guinea pigs that died this week.

I wish I had known sooner, I can´t help but wonder if many of those guinea pigs couldn´t have been saved if they had gone to foster homes for more care, but I didn´t see them, so i can´t say for sure. I´m going to see if I can get on some kind of list with them in case something like this happens in the future so I can help.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 06, 2002 8:09 am

That´s sad. Guinea pigs seem to be so far down on the ASCPA´s totem pole. I can´t help but agree with you, that probably some of them could have gone to foster homes. I wish the punishment in these kinds of cases put the offender through the same treatment he gave innocent animals.

Sunny

Post   » Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:34 am

I´m with you Lynx.

At least you tried Jason... as you said, if you had only known sooner.

tina_3869

Post   » Sat Jul 06, 2002 11:59 am

I have to say that since visiting this site I have had a giant "slap of reality" I thought the world was full of mostly decent people, people that even though they may be cruel to other humans were at least kind or indiffernt to animals. No offence to the rest of you humans (I happen to be one of you) but homosapiens are the cruelest, meanest most vicious species on this planet. People are shocked and disgusted when they hear that certain species "eat their young" or have to turn their head when they see a snake eat a mouse....and look at what we our selves are capable of?

gracielee
Me, too!

Post   » Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:52 pm

I´d rather be eaten than neglected. At least I would have served some purpose.

imanut4u

Post   » Thu Jul 18, 2002 8:43 am

7 still need homes in Ann Arbor. 9 are coming to my home today and will be available for adoption when I feel they are ready. 1 male is spoken for (unseen, gotta love that) and possibly two more if they are suitable family pets (children in the home). I´ll post pictures as soon as I get a chance.

Those of you in the Ann Arbor area, please consider adopting one (or more) from HVHS. 4 of the remaining pigs are from this rescue and 3 others have come in just prior to the rescue. HVHS hopes to find homes for all 7.

------

Not in your area? See the thread titled "Michigan Guinea Pigs (many areas)" There are 18 listings on Petfinder right now, *multiple pigs on some listings, and several other sources for adopting not listed on PF.
Last edited by imanut4u on Thu Jul 18, 2002 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cindy in MI
Supporter in '05

Post   » Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:54 am

The Ann Arbor situation was such a sad one. However, I DO want to thank imanut4u for allowing us to adopt one of the surviving piggies along with a friend.

I´ve been promising my daughter a piggy for about a year now and the timing worked out very well with the Ann Arbor piggy. This piggy still needs to learn that the world isn´t really a bad place after all and that he´s safe and he has food and he is loved. It may take a little bit of time for him to believe all that but nevertheless he´s a very special piggy just because of where he came from and what he´s gone through in his short little life.

These guys have our unconditional love - we love them for who they are and just the way they are.

THANK YOU imanut4u!!!!

Cindy in MI, Andrea, Herman & James (the piggies)

imanut4u

Post   » Wed Jul 24, 2002 5:36 pm

The thanks belong to you Cindy for giving Herman a chance at love and happiness.

Herman was actually going to be euthanized in Ann Arbor and "spoke" to Sally at HVHS before his number came up. He was as far away from rescue as a guinea pig could be, and now he owns 2 adorable girls and a great lady.

I´m tickled he and James hit it off so well, not one chatter from these boys when introduced. James is a love, but did you notice he has 3 nipples? A first for my rescue.

Thanks so much for adopting! It was a pleasure meeting the three of you. Let me know if you need anything.

Cindy´s boys:

Jill

Post   » Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:25 pm

Congratulations, Cindy and girls, enjoy your new piggies. You´ll have to let us know how they are doing. Is James one of the Ann Arbor pigs too?