234 PIGS TO BE PUT TO SLEEP, NEED TRANSPORT MD to MA

phlumpetta

Post   » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:45 pm

Sorry if this is the second time posting I don't know what happened to my other post....

A few days ago 235 neglected pigs were seized and brought to the Tri-County Animal Shelter in Hughesville, MD. Thanks to man donations the pigs have a little better conditions, but once the case regarding the seizure is settled, and the shelter gets legal custody of the pigs, the animals are all expected to be humanely euthanized due to lack of shelter funds. PLEASE HELP me if you can - I am in northeastern MA and I am trying to arrange a transport chain from Hughesville, MD to at least CT. I have a few people here with GP experience who may be potential fosterers.

Here is a message posted by a woman who works at a GP rescue (Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue) who visited the shelter recently:

RESCUE: 235 GUINEA PIGS SEIZED IN SOUTHERN MARYLAND!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5/25/2004:
Yes, a rescuer's wildest nightmare. While the case is under investigation, no animals can be released. However, they need the following IMMEDIATELY:

**1. People to clean and feed guinea pigs ASAP. Two paid positions available; all else volunteers. See message below for phone numbers.
**2. Donations of decent/clean/indoor cages.
**3. Monetary donations to purchase food and bedding. Receipts will be mailed to you. Send donations to:

Tri-County Animal Shelter
6707 Animal Shelter Road
Hughesville, Maryland 20637

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Here is the gist of the press release:

On Saturday May 22, 2004 Charles County Animal Control Services executed a search warrant in conjunction with the Charles County Sheriff’s Office at a residence in La Plata. As a result, approximately 244 assorted animals were impounded and placed in the custody of Charles County Animal Control Services. No charges have been filed, but the matter remains under investigation.

Anyone who has experience in handling small pets such as guinea pigs and wishes to volunteer as little as an hour to assist in the care of the hundreds of small pets now being housed at the shelter in Hughesville is encouraged to contact the Tri-County Animal Shelter to do so. Please contact the Shelter Supervisor, Joanna Snow or the Assistant Supervisor, Daniele Parks to volunteer at 301-932-1713 or 1-800-903-1992.

===================================
UPDATE: 5/30/2004

I just returned from my first visit down to the shelter since the guinea pigs were taken into custody. Luckily, some of MGPR's fosterers had already been there over the last few days and today, 'Thrasher' and 'Karma73' and some of their friends also were there.

A lot of guinea pigs. Most were in ok shape. VERY crowded conditions, cages filthy just overnight. Donations from general souls on GuineaLynx and GPDD and elsewhere made it possible for a huge bedding, hay, and pellet delivery yesterday morning. All piggies have hay and pellets for a while.. the bedding will go very very quickly. We are using pine - its cheaper. Aspen wasn't available from our local distributor.

Stacy, one of my old adopters lives down there (it is 50 miles from me and Thrasher (John) is from 240 miles away but up for the weekend. Stephanie (Karma73) is also a good drive away, so we are unable to help during the week.

Stacy and I spent most of the morning building C&C cages. The piggies are so overcrowded but there just isn't any more space. The C&C cages opened up more space and allowed us to see how unhealthy some of the piggies are. I am going to try to get there tomorrow again from 9 - 12 (sunday and holidays are not even open but they let us in to help). I don't think one of the little girls will be alive tomorrow. She is terribly bony and fragile and has most of her hair missing. I tried to feed her pellet mush, and she wanted it, so I think its probably her molars. We can't take anyone out of there by law until things are resolved with the court action, so of course, more animals are going to suffer and die.

This shelter needs help desperately, and will need more donations to keep up with the expense. I will likely be begging for more money very soon, so please look into your hearts and pocketbooks to make a donation. They are tax deductible and we are glad to take donations through Paypal at www.mgpr.org/MGPR/Donate.htm. You can also mail donations directly to the shelter and mark them for the guinea pigs.

Tri-County Animal Shelter
6707 Animal Shelter Road
Hughesville, Maryland 20637

I will make sure your Paypal donations (and checks if you want to send them) will go to this rescue, too. They can't even eat vegetables yet.. but its all they can do to keep them in hay and pellets. As I said, the most immediate need will be bedding again very soon.

I still don't know the whole story because its sealed document until after Thursday. I promise to keep you all updated. Thank you again to all who donated time, money, energy, and support. This is just not possible without help, and the shelter knows it. We do know that the guineas will be put to sleep once its determined that they will not go back to the owner and there are no funds for upkeep or places for them to go.

I am especially in need of people from eastern MD, NJ, and PA up to meet up around Queens, NY. (I might have someone who could drive from Queens to CT border, where I could meet them.) From Trenton, NJ to Queens, NY is roughly 1.5-2 hours. Philadelphia to Trenton is 45min-hour. Baltimore to Philly is 2ish hours. The shelter itself to Baltimore is 1.5ish hours. If anybody is in these areas please give it a thought. You can always change your mind. contact me at petunia_loo@yahoo.com or Lauren_Cordeiro@student.uml.edu

Thanks very much,
Lauren

melcvt00

Post   » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:58 pm

There's already a thread on this, even though it ended up in the wrong forum: https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12701