Young female Guinea pig at Bergen County Shelter in NJ

caruba
Supporter in '10

Post   » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:45 pm

She's beautiful... please bust her out!
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/19008087

Also...Oswald here looks very young, has no description and is stuck at an animal control facility - the cedar bedding might be the least of his problems right now :(
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/18872539

PLEASE HELP if you can!

ElvisTCB

Post   » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:03 pm

Are these guys at risk? Have you contacted any of the NJ rescues? I see three listed on Lynx:

https://www.guinealynx.info/rescue_organizations.html#NJ

caruba
Supporter in '10

Post   » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:59 pm

I'm in close contact with HALT (and by proxy, have-a-heart). I was hoping someone would adopt them, as these two rescues are at capacity right now. :(

ElvisTCB

Post   » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:53 am

What about the third one?

Do either of these shelters euthanize? I couldn't seem to find out on their websites.

Twinkie really is gorgeous/adorable! Such a beautiful cream color!

ElvisTCB

Post   » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:26 am

caruba
Supporter in '10

Post   » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:44 am

Shelters don't advertise if they euthanize or not, but "animal control facility" doesn't sound very promising. But I may be wrong. The shelter I volunteer at has an animal control contract and they keep the animals for as long as they need to find homes.

I am hoping that this post increases exposure and someone might see them and decide to adopt. They are adorable. Don't forget about the little boy.

ElvisTCB

Post   » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:50 am

Of course not!

I've definitely seen at least a couple shelters on Petfinder that mention they do euthanize (which isn't to say that all of them "advertise"). There's a shelter near my home (mainly dog/cat) that I believe is animal control, & don't think they euthanize.

I can find out, if you'd like.

caruba
Supporter in '10

Post   » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:14 am

Oh, wow! I stand corrected then - I have never seen that mentioned on petfinder. Thanks for letting me know.

I wish I could help, but I am at full capacity with 5 rescues. And I can't even offer to transport - no car. But I'll contact Danni from HALT rescue and see if maybe she has any suggestions. :-/

This is so heartbreaking.

seraphanjil

Post   » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:17 am

If someone can take them for a short period of time, I have a small waiting list at the moment. I'm going to rebuild my rescue room on Saturday so I can try to accommodate a few more

ElvisTCB

Post   » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:30 am

Oswalt is listed as a girl, actually.

I e-mailed both shelters to found out if they euthanize.

That would be great if you could take them in, seraphanjil. Hopefully another Lynx member can foster them for a short period. I would in a heartbeat...if I didn't live in Chicago.

PattiZee

Post   » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:38 pm

She is pretty. I'd get her if I could too!

ElvisTCB

Post   » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:38 am

No reply (yet) to my inquiries regarding euthanasia, so I decided to do a bit of searching. According to the Woodbridge shelter (where Oswalt is at), they don't euthanize any "adoptable animal" (& haven't since '07). I'd like to think that'd mean a young guinea pig would be safe (I hope). Of course, she's still on cedar (& who wants to be at animal control?!).

BUT, I think we need to get Twinkie sprung from Bergen. I don't know when it was dated, but came across a couple sites that mentioned a petition against Bergen's 90 day adoption policy (before they resort to euthanasia). Any idea when she was listed?