Plymouth, MA: 2 young pigs found in woods

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:30 pm

Interesting to hear about the meloxicam dosage adjustment.

Glad to hear she is not in as much pain.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:51 pm

It seemed to be time to update this thread.

Pepper died in February 2016 after surgery to explore her chronic bladder problems.

In the past couple of weeks, Rosie had been suddenly looking old and bony, and her breathing began to look a little labored. She was going to see the vet in two days, but we found her dead this morning. I would assume heart attack (which may have been what felled her sister Cream Puff at a much younger age).

Rosie was big and loud, outgoing and interactive--she would complain loudly if you passed nearby without a treat or a cuddle for her. I'm already missing her expectant face peering out of the cage. I can't help but feel guilty that I did not bring her in sooner, but she was still so lively, even last night.

A year ago, Rosie survived an arduous bout with malocclusion, described here. The vets who saw her have used her story to inform the treatment options they consider for other pigs. We have Pinta and her chin-sling research to thank for Rosie recovering to enjoy another very happy year of life.

Rosie had been diagnosed with a bladder stone late last year. (Her sister Pepper had had blood in her urine, but no visible stones.) We did not want to put her through surgery. She was getting potassium citrate, which reduced the flareups of discomfort and blood in the urine. There had a been a little more blood in the past few days, but I had not heard any squeaking.

The last of the quartet is Bo, five years old but not showing it. Still giving out with a low-altitude popcorn or a one-lap cage zoom occasionally.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:33 pm

Wow. I remember the thread name from long ago. I'm sorry you lost Rosie and Pepper.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:51 pm

I am so sorry for your losses. What fortunate pigs they were to come into your home.

I hope Bo has some inkling that he is one lucky pig.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:36 am

Reviving this thread. Bo is almost seven years old and has been declining the last few months. Just a week ago he went to the vet for a dual checkup with his cagemate Lola, an spayed sow (she's also ancient and in very tough shape, but this isn't her thread). He checked out as, yep, very old but otherwise OK. However, the last day or so I've noticed his poops being too small. Turned him over. His pouch and penis look OK. However, he's got two dark crusty patches in a parenthesis shape on his scrotum, on either side of his anus. The dark patches don't wash off with soap and warm water. Some kind of skin infection? fungal? I'll call the vet tomorrow, but any thoughts?

After my mauling him with this inspection and butt bath he was limp and checked out. I really hope I haven't killed him with stress. He's now nibbling grass so maybe I haven't.

Just to vent about elderly pig care: Lola is anorexic and we're spending every extra minute hand-feeding her while attempting to find out what's wrong. And now my sweet old Bo has a problem too.

Eight people coming over for Passover Seder. Not the best time for a dual pig crisis.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:56 am

When I saw this title pop up, I thought: But Margery got these pigs. Wow - you still have Bo. Yes - I swear pigs always fail just before a big event. I hope things go smoothly for you. Happy Passover!

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:24 am

It's worse today. He's going to the vet at 6.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:49 am

I'm so sorry these two are doing so poorly. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and them.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:15 pm

Fingers crossed for you & Bo.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:42 pm

Oh no, I'm sorry. Let us know what you found out. Good that you were able to get him in today yet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:07 pm

Your guinea pigs are in the best of hands! I have not had boars so am extra clueless regarding the patches on his scrotum, but you might also try some cold press coconut oil which can work if soap and water don't.

My best wishes for Bo and Lola.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:49 pm

You've got to love guinea pigs -- or be grossed out by them! Lola was licking his butt so aggressively that she scraped his skin. The dark patches are scabs; they are separated now of course.