Longhair male rescue that needs a home in Texas!

captainjillian

Post   » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:34 pm

Hello!
2 days ago my little daughter and I were at Petco and she noticed a rather large guinea pig in a little 20 gallon aquarium. He had been surrendered by his previous owners and was up for adoption for $5. He was scared because he was in a small aquarium in the middle of the store but he let me pet him. My daughter cried because nobody loved him so I went ahead and bailed him out of Petco jail. We bought him some essentials like a water bottle and dish, hay and food, some toys and a giant hiding igloo. He is currently in our old ferrets cage and has warmed up a lot and enjoys being petted. We also have a small animal exercise prn he has been spending time in running around chirping happily.
Here is the thing. I know guinea pigs are social and love companions. I also know that a large c and c cage is best but we have several other animals that would love to eat Bacon as a snack. Oh yeah, his name is Bacon. I would love to find him a proper guinea pig household because we really are not one! I will include his new items and am willing to travel some, I just think he is really sweet and was sad so we had to save him. I am located in the DFW area. If you are interested, let me know! I will be screening potential adopters, we arent in a rush to kick him out!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:46 am

Do you have any pictures? Pictures always help. Does your current cage have a secure lid?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:28 pm

Ditto Lynx. Pictures always help generate interest.

Does your ferret cage have a wire bottom floor or a solid floor? If wire bottom, please line it with newspaper or cardboard. Guinea pigs' feet can become infected, and their legs broken, on wire flooring.

That said, bless you and thank you for bailing him out and taking him home. You and your daughter have saved his life, make no mistake, and that is not an exaggeration.

It's not difficult to make a C&C cage with a lid secure from other pets --

http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/g5 ... ofing.html

I bring this up only because the fact that you knew the proper supplies to get for him, and are taking excellent care of him from your description, leads me to think that you may be a better guinea pig household for him than you may think you are.

If you and your family would really like to keep him, we can certainly help you solve any problems that you may face. Otherwise, you're doing all the right things. Screen potential adopters very, very carefully and be sure to charge something for him and his supplies. "Free to a good home" is a very, very bad idea.

Please keep us posted. I'll just add that while most pigs are social and need the company of their own kind, not all do. We've had several solo pigs who have done just fine, with plenty of attention.

Cithalm

Post   » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:27 pm

i live in Texas, but near Shreveport. i would love to give him a forever home. my both of my boys are rescues.

captainjillian

Post   » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:58 am

Bumping my old thread!
We have now had Bacon for a few months and he is a wonderful guinea pig. He wheeks for bell peppers when you walk by, and likes being scratched above the nose. He has actually changed my perception of guinea pigs, everyone that meets him is impressed with him and enjoys him! I have him in a large cage with flannel as the flooring, but he has chewed up a lot of the cage's cloth coverings and the flannel, so a different setup would probably suit him better.
While we do love him, we would still like to find him a better home! I'm afraid he gets lonely by himself, and we are so busy that he doesn't get as much time as he deserves. While I would love to keep him, I would rather he go to a home that has an established guinea pig "system" so he can socialize and have the best life!
I am in the DFW area of Texas and am open to some travel to home him! Since his current cage is currently being eaten, I will be rehoming him without a cage. I can include his waterbottle, dishes, hay cubes, and any food/treats I have.
If you are looking for a sweet male to complete your home, please let me know!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:29 pm

He sounds like a great guinea pig! Is high quality grass hay available at all times? It is a necessary part of his diet and might give him something to do instead of chewing on the cloth. Large cages help too.

captainjillian

Post   » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:20 am

Yes, he has a hay grate feeder that always has timothy hay in it. The cage is about 4 feet long and two feet wide, but has a canvas bottom and wire top and he is gnawing on the canvas and the fleece. He does have a few chewy toys in there he chews on as well.

Maybe he needs a C&C cage? What is a good substrate that isn't fleece if I was to build a C&C for him? He doesn't limit his bathroom activities to one area, so I don't know if he could be trained to go in a box or anything like that?

Also, what food do you guys recommend?

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:08 am

Are you on Facebook?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:54 pm

Unfortunately, the vast majority of guinea pigs can't be trained to go in a box, like rabbits can.

Substrate: I use CareFresh but that can get expensive. Kiln-dried pine or aspen are good and safe alternatives. If you can get to a feed and seed type farm supply place, they often have kiln-dried pine in larger bales for less money than you'd pay at a pet store.

This place is far and away the cheapest I've found for CareFresh, especially if you sign up for their autoship program:

http://www.petfooddirect.com/

Chronic chewing like that can (not always, but can) indicate some form of pain. Could you take him to a cavy-knowledgeable vet for a checkover?

https://www.guinealynx.info/cabinet/inde ... ians_Texas

By food, I'm assuming you mean pelleted food (kibble). Most of us use either Oxbow Cavy Cuisine (for adult pigs) or KMS Hayloft timothy-based pellets.

Pet Food Direct has the Oxbow; so does Amazon.

KMS Hayloft: http://www.kmshayloft.com/hay/

Imwithwalter

Post   » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:05 pm

We are in DFW Do you have photos?