Sow Fighting even after introduction period

legolasdf

Post   » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:51 pm

So exactly 34 days ago I rescued a 1-year pregnant sow that had a pretty bad last owner, threw her in the trash :/. So after i got her all treated at the vet I placed her on a little area by my 3 girls(which live freely on my pc room) today thinking that 34 days living besides them was fine,(and interacting happily through the fences) she was fighting all my other girls, to the point of hurting one of mines, i had to hold the hurt one for 5 hours so she could calm down.

I don't know if she's mad because of the pregnancy or something, but i was really sad to see her hurting my others, even when they were doing just fine with her behind her fence.

is there a way to resolve this? I don't wanna have her on the fence cage for a lot more, because is really small and she's alone, but i don't want to let her out when she's hurting my other babies badly. :/

This is the cute aggressor.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:39 pm

Here's the bible on guinea pig introductions: http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

Putting them next to each other doesn't help anything, and when you do introduce them, you need a huge neutral area and a lot of time.

legolasdf

Post   » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:28 pm

oooohhhh i see! I never had to introduce so i thought this was more than enough. The guide is amazing, but i have 3 girls besides this pregnant lady. The guide seems more to introduce the new piggie to 1 other.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:32 pm

You can introduce them all at once.

But if it doesn't go well, you may want to wait until after the pups are born and away from the mom to try again. Most guinea pigs sows make great aunties and will help raise the pups, but if she's not getting along with the other sows, there could be some conflict.

Has this sow had a litter of pups before, or is this her first?

And be aware that you need to separate any male pups at 21 days of age to keep them from getting the mom pregnant again.