Sunshine meets her new friend

BamBam

Post   » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:30 am

A pregnant dalmation is of concern. If she mated with another recessive gene carrier the pups are in danger of acquiring both.

I am very much hoping that she isn't pregnant. Do you know how old she is?

Supa

Post   » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:14 pm

I was told she was around a year and a half old which of course is a little concerning. I suppose its better than if she were 3 or 4 but still.

We are headed to the vet a little later today. I will be sure to post what I find out.

rpaws

Post   » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:52 pm

I hope she is just gaining weight from good eating.

From what I understand, the older the guinea pig the more concern there would be.

Supa

Post   » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:12 pm

Well Lola is 100 percent pregnant. And because of the timing she has got to be within a week or so of having the babies. The vet was great, did an xray and we can see for sure 4 little piggies in there with a small chance of 5 (holy cow!!!!).

Since we can't be sure on the age of Lola, and we don't know of any previous pregnancies, a Cesarean may have to be done if she has any trouble during labor.

The exotic vet at the clinic I went to only takes 1 day a week off and she said she would still come in if it happened to fall on her day off. Lola is back in her cage with Sunshine and doing fine.

The good news is she is in very good health according to the vet. So please everyone send good vibes this way and let's hope for the best!

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:47 pm

Well good cibes for her then. I really hope things go smoothly and the father doesn't carry the roan/dalmatian gene!

scurvykate

Post   » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:17 am

I hope everything goes well with Lola's pregnancy, Supa!

clairey

Post   » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:49 am

Hoping it all goes smoothly for you and that they're all healthy. Hopefully giving birth to several smaller pups will be easier on her than one or two big ones.

Supa

Post   » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:26 pm

"Hi everyone! Don't mind me, I'm just checking out some nice spots to maybe settle down and have 4 piggy babies!!!

As you can see Ms. Lola has really developed some nice curves. :)
I am so nervous/anxious and just want this to happen!!!! I get so scared that it will happen while I am at work or even sleeping. The pigs are in my room so maybe I have myself trained enough to wake up if I hear any unusual piggy noises.

I'm convinced Lola is just trying to pack on the weight so she can pass for almost the size of her buddy! Sunshine is being so brave for Lola and took her on a nice tour of the cage once daddy had changed all of the sheets!

Nothing works up an appetite like a brisk cage jog!!!

I hope I will bring good news soon. :)

Supa

Post   » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:04 pm

Well I just home from work and thought all was clear. I went about cleaning the cage but when I lifted up the pigloo Lola was under I was shocked to find 3 baby pigs in there with her!!!

They are soooooo tiny and adorable. :) Lola seems to be doing fine and did her usual run away thing when I lifted the pigloo. Lots of water has been drank since I filled it last night and Sunshine doesn't drink much so it must be Lola.

I'm scared though because the vet said she thought she could make out 4 babies on the xray. There are definitely only 3 here and from the looks of how dry the piggies are and how dry the spot was where you can tell she went into labor, you can tell it probably happened at least several hours ago. I went to work at 7:00am and got home at 1:00 PM.

I need some advice on whether I need to take Lola in to make sure there are no more in there or if its been long enough? I don't know, I've just never done this before!

JadeMagpie

Post   » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:13 pm

If the vet was pretty sure about 4, I would advise taking her in. If there were complications with the pregnancy, by the time she starts showing severe signs it might be too late?

Somebody confirm -- I have NEVER had a pregnant pig. I would at least *call* the vet I took her to and get their advice.

Supa

Post   » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:23 pm

I called the vet and am waiting to here back from her. I don't want to take any chances. I've read that there is possibly something they can give her to pass any unborn?

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:30 pm

Piiiiigtures!

And best wishes to the new little mama.