Sam and Dean

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:08 am

One thing I remember about the fleece is trying to shake it off outside.

Bigly mistake!

Showered myself with pee.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:00 pm

I'm just learning the ins and outs of fleece bedding. I didn't know about putting a towel under it, but I do know about not shaking it. I learned that from using holding towels. They soak up the urine and you have to shake it gently to get the droppings out without splashing urine on yourself. The other difference between the shredded paper bedding and the fleece is that you have to change the whole fleece daily, while the paper bedding lasts up to 3 days with just scooping the soiled bedding in between cage cleanings.

The reason I choose fleece for Sam and Dean is because of the size of their cage. It would take a ton of paper bedding for them if I went that route. As it is with my older pigs, I go through 4-5 of the large packages of bedding every month. It would take double that amount if I use it for all of them.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:04 pm

If you're going to put fleece down, by far the cheapest, most absorbent, most odor-controlling substance to put under it is wood pellets. Two sacks of horse stall bedding will (about $8 a bag) will last you a year.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed May 01, 2019 8:55 pm

Still working with Sammy on being calm when I'm holding him. Turns out the way to his heart is through his stomach. He trusts me or he wouldn't let me pick him up, but he still acts squirrelly. A little grass to munch on keeps him happy so I can pet him while he sits with me.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed May 01, 2019 10:23 pm

He has such a sweet little face!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed May 01, 2019 11:01 pm

He is such a character! I just love him! He's got so many unique qualities about him. He has been a very pleasant addition to our home. His brother, Dean has been too. Dean is a little snuggle bug!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu May 02, 2019 10:14 pm

Sam and Dean are to the point where they are secure enough that they don't need overhead cover when they go outside. Enjoying some grass and the last rays of sunshine for the day.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 02, 2019 10:50 pm

Don't forget to provide at least a corner of shade. When the sun is out, guinea pigs can become over heated, even if the temps seem okay.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri May 03, 2019 5:37 am

I know. The sun had almost set at that point. What little sunshine there was left was being broken up by the trees so they weren't being directly exposed enough to get overheated. The temperature had dropped down to about 70. If you look at the latest pictures on my Mr Bubbles and Scruffy thread, those pictures were taken half an hour before Sammy and Dean's and they have a thick blanket providing protection from the sun.

I never take my babies outside in the heat of the day. I also give them overhead cover while the sun shines on them unabated. I know folks who have lost piggies to the heat even though they had shade. Mine only go out when the temperature is between 65 and 75 as recommended by the humane society. Even in that range, you can never be too careful.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 03, 2019 10:25 am

I do think when people are outside with their guinea pigs, they will know right away if there is a sun problem (if they seek shade, they need to provide it for their guinea pigs). I always post about this to bring it to the attention of other readers (not necessarily the author of the topic).

Yes, at that time of day the sun is not an issue.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri May 03, 2019 8:45 pm

So Sammy and Dean had their initial exam today and it went mostly well. Both are healthy, but there is an issue with their ears. No infection, but a lot of wax. The vet had to clean quite a bit out before she could look into their ear canals because she couldn't see past the build up. She believes it was caused by their previous environment. She gave their ears a thorough cleaning and they looked good. I'm supposed to keep an eye on them and bring them back if there are any further issues.

Sammy weighed in at 2.42 pounds, which is right at the top of his optimal weight range. Just have to be careful not to over feed him. His urine was milky white when I first got him, but it's mostly cleared up now. This we know because he let loose all over the place while his nails were being trimmed. He squealed like he was being tortured during the whole process. He just didn't like being poked and prodded. Everything is good with him and he's a healthy young cavy. Just have to monitor his ears.

Dean weighs 2.16 pounds. Perfect! His urine is still milky white, but it's getting better. Just not as quickly as Sammy's. Continuing the proper diet I have him on should clear it up. The exam was stressful for him too which tells me that probably neither he nor Sammy were getting regular check ups. Everything else is good to go. Healthy young cavy. Just have to monitor his ears.

I'm relieved that these guys are healthy. They can eat their fill of grass and dandelion greens as long as it's not been sprayed with insecticides and weed killer. That's not a problem since I never use them.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 03, 2019 9:06 pm

If their urine is milky, it is likely the dandelion greens (high in calcium) are partly to blame.