The Legend of Barry Jenkins

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:10 pm

BJ just isn't a big veggie eater, I suppose. Still offering lettuce, but he just doesn't want to eat it. Tried Kale and no go there either. Didn't eat much parsley. Tomato, red and green bell pepper is a no go as well. The only veggie he readily eats is carrots and I don't want to give him that every day. Going to try the orange and yellow bell pepper. I'm a little bit puzzled. He eats hay and pellets pretty regularly, so I'm pretty sure he's eating enough.

I've never had a piggie that didn't like lettuce unless it's sick, but BJ doesn't look or act sick. He even comes to the cage door to nibble the wire for attention. I went back to the humane society to ask if they had any ideas as to what greens he had been eating while he was there. I'm waiting for a call back. I'm a bit of a worry wart after what I went through with Scruffy. I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff that he's not going to eat unless I have to, so hopefully the caregiver at the humane society will be able give me some info.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:43 am

Have you tried the baby lettuces that are packaged together? I get one from Aldi’s that has 4 different types of baby leaf lettuces and maybe he would like one of those.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:41 am

I tried baby spinach and the fully grown leaves. Tried collerd greens too. The humane society said that he likes those, but he didn't eat any of that. Carrots are the only fresh vegetable he'll eat so far. I haven't given him yellow bell peppers yet. I was thinking of trying that living butter lettuce too. Hay and some pellets is what he likes and what he eats plenty of. I'm going to keep offering him fresh greens in the hopes that he'll learn to like them.

On another note, I hold him every day and he's such a snuggler. I really enjoy having him. He stretches both hind legs behind him when he lays on his belly. He also kicks one of them out when he lays on his side and curls up into a ball. It's so adorable! I tried to get a picture of it but I disturbed him and he got up and nestled under my chin. I'll try to snap a pic and post it.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:49 pm

Lazy piggie! He loves to lay like that. He does it in his house too. I thought I'd give him a fleece forest too and he enjoys it. Happy little guy. I just don't understand how anyone could give him up for adoption. Every day I'm glad I made him part of my guinea pig family. He's eating his leafy green veggies a little more now than when I first got him. Probably wasn't fed them before now.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:38 pm

He looks like he's in heaven.

Or at least in a very ritzy hotel ;-)

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:57 am

Peek-a-boo! I just love this little one! So glad he was still available to adopt when I got home! It was meant to be. It couldn't have been scripted any better!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:23 am

That is it! I am going to start swimming and hopefully get there one day to pignap this one! The girls will love him. So mellow and looks so squishy! Can just picture him laying next to me head on the pillow laying in bed. NEVER seen a pig like this one! I am so jealous! A handsome gorgeous boy! LOVE the leg too! Sexy chops!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:35 pm

He is the sweetest little guy. He lays with me a lot. I have a very thick fleece blanket for him. He loves to snuggle against me on it.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:14 am

Do you take him to bed? Like whilst you read of something? Some of our girls love to lay on the pillow and get all flat and snugly on it. Still swimming just having a rest. Whew!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:33 pm

I don't take any of my piggies with me when I go to bed per say. I sometimes lay out a thick fleece blanket on the bed with old towels underneath in addition to holding them on my lap in the easy chair. It's just another way to spice things up for them. Each one responds differently. Barry Jenkins burrows into the blanket any way he can and either curls up like in the picture or he'll stretch out. Mr Bubbles likes to climb up on me and nibble my face. Sammy is very high strung and doesn't sit still for very long. Dean is a cuddler like BJ, only he doesn't curl up.

On another note, I noticed that BJ has had a bit of an itchy spot on his back since the day I adopted him. It's not too bad when he's just sitting or going about his guinea pig business, but if I rub it, he nibbles on the closest thing to his mouth. I looked it over thoroughly and didn't see any obvious reason why it would be itchy. No visible bugs, no bright redness or other discoloration, no hair loss and he's not scratching it raw.

I checked the reference forums and it doesn't match anything noted in any of them. Dry skin perhaps? Whatever it is, none of the other 3 boys has it. Mr Bubbles has this one spot in the middle of his back that is the same way. He's had that since I got him almost 3 years ago. The vet checked it when he was a pup and it's just a spot he doesn't like messed with. It's never changed, spread or gotten worse. The humane society vet gave BJ a clean bill of health, but I think it's time I have Dr Landon take a look at it before it turns into something serious. They're all due for a nail trim anyway.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:46 pm

BJ has the legs kicked out thing going on!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:53 pm

Enjoying a little treat from underneath his blanket!