The Legend of Barry Jenkins

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 pm

Agree. And I wouldn't want to give an antibiotic.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:16 pm

Has he had Revolution?

I suggest this weeks back. It is handy as you get 3 tubes and there was enough in a tube to do 3 girls back when we only had 3 girls. It worked a treat! After 3rd dose all itches gone! Hope BJ feels better soon! Poor little man!

I know with dogs when they have itches the bed is also treated. Is BJ's bed being treated too? Please keep us posted!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:48 pm

No Revolution. Ivermectin and he has 1 dose left. He gets his bedding changed every other day. The pattern follows the same pattern he bites at it. It's never expanded or spread to any other part of his body.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:12 am

I think I remember you got it from the vet, right? And there's been some question about the strength of it?

If it were me, I'd order the 1% injectable and give it topically. There's a dosing chart on here if you decide to do that.

I've never known of ivermectin, properly dosed, not killing mites.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:53 pm

I agree. It feels like your vet is throwing a lot of different things at this, when this is most likely just a case of mites.

I know you recently said that the bottle of Ivermectin that you were given says 10mg/ml, but then you also previously said something about 5mg/ml of cherry syrup? I really do think that your best bet is to buy regular injectible Ivermectin (to be used topically) or the blue pour-on Ivermectin, in order to be sure of the mg/ml and the dosage and treat him yourself. It's cheap and readily available at farm/feed stores and online. Many of us here (myself included) have successfully treated mites and lice with this product. As I mentioned before, sometimes it does take another full round of an additional 3 doses 7 days apart in more stubborn cases, but I've never had to repeat Ivermectin beyond that.

I would not use antibiotics in this case, and I wouldn't bathe him in anything for now. If anything, a bath can aggravate mites and make him even itchier. If the itching persists in the meantime, you can ask your vet about Prednisone.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:12 am

BJ still has one dose of his Ivermectin left to take. I'm going to give him that tomorrow when it's due. His itching has gotten noticeably better. It's only the one little spot on his hip. It has been from the start and it hasn't spread. I'll give him his bath with the Pramoxine shampoo too and see how he feels. If the itching hasn't completely stopped, I'll look for the stuff you mentioned.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:21 am

Final dose of Ivermectin was given today. BJ doesn't seem to be so itchy today. Vitamin C arrived so he'll be getting that too. My goodness, it tastes nasty. It's another nasty thing I have to put in a syringe and force feed him. Even diluted and mixed with critical care, it has a strong citrus taste. I totally hate having to do this to him right now. BJ has started running from me now even though I pick him up and love on him far more than I do to administer meds, probiotics and vitamins. To top it off, I have to bathe him, which he doesn't like either. Ugh! I can't wait for all of this to be behind us so we can get back to the good life. Soon, I hope.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:58 pm

BJ has been happy since I decided to quit poking syringes full of nasty tasting things he doesn't need into his mouth. He even enjoyed a nice long floor time yesterday with a ball to push around, a tunnel to run through, a blanket for burrowing and hay to munch. I put guinea pig noises on the TV for him. He had a very good time and it was nice to see him frolic around.

Then today, I went and ruined it by giving him his bath. He wasn't severely itchy, but enough to warrant the anti itch shampoo. He really does not like that. I try to be as gentle as possible, but there's no easy way to lather up a guinea pig who doesn't want to sit in the sink for the 5 minutes the shampoo has to stay on him. Blow drying is virtually impossible too, so it came down to hand drying as best as I could and holding him wrapped in a dry towel to keep him warm until he dried off.

I just gave him his Ivermectin dose 2 days ago so I have to wait at least a few days before using any topical Ivermectin. This bath should keep him comfortable in the meantime. I used a generous amount of the shampoo and I could tell that it worked so much better this time as he's totally itch free currently. I could even dry his itchy spot without him going nuts. I guess that makes the torture of a bath worthwhile.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:41 am

I'm going to get the Ivermectin pour on for BJ. It's a 250ml bottle from Amazon. There are several reviews where it was used on guinea pigs and it was advised here on this forum. What I need help with is exactly how much to put on him. He's a 3 lb piggie or 1364 grams. If I read the Ivermectin page on this site correctly, I should be putting between . 0625 and .0725 cc on him.

Did I read that right? .0625 cc is for a 1250 gram piggie and .0725 is for a 1500 gram one. BJ is 1364 grams, so I should use .068 cc. Is that correct? Also can I apply it to the thin spot on his back if he can reach it, or will it kill mites all over his body by putting it behind his ears?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:35 am

If this is the 0.5% solution (the blue pour-on formula), the dose would be roughly 0.14cc's:
https://www.guinealynx.info/topical_iver ... ur-on.html

It's a small amount, but you can put a little on the spot itself and the rest behind both ears. You'll need a 1ml syringe (no needle) to dose it correctly.

The blue stuff looks like this:

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:57 am

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:10 pm

That's the stuff I looked at on Amazon. 250ml of the 5mg per ml. I'm checking the feed store to see if they have any in stock. If they don't, I'll order it. I can't dose him until Friday anyway because he had an oral dose, so it'll be fine. I don't want to overdose him and add to the problem.