Guinea Pig Market - formerly Jens Custom Crafts #2

JensCritterDen
Guinea Pig Market

Post   » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:53 pm

I hope they can find a great home in the general area ;)

Here are Tasha's cage liners

And Jane's Lap Pad

JensCritterDen
Guinea Pig Market

Post   » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:16 pm

Jessica's Order

Anna's hammock

Shannon's corridor

Phew! Done for the night ;)

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:25 am

How cute they are enjoying the huts :)

Siouxsie

Post   » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:36 am

Oh My God!!!! (claps hands) I love the order!!!!!

It is so much better and prettier than I imagined! Can't wait to see them in person. Great mixing of the fabrics I chose.

FYI to everyone, I can't match anything to save my life so I just picked a few fabrics that I thought were pretty and gave the job of matching to Jen. :)

She did a wonderful job! My piggies will be so happy!

Jessica

JensCritterDen
Guinea Pig Market

Post   » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:30 am

I am so glad you like how it all turned out Jessica. It was fun matching everything, I love doing that! I am glad you trusted me. Now you have to post pictures of your piggies in their beds after they get there!

CavyCastle
Supporter in '10

Post   » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:44 pm

They do great matching! Ya'll should see their "quilted" pieces!

Brenda B

Post   » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:47 pm

I think my pigs need holiday beds....

JensCritterDen
Guinea Pig Market

Post   » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:53 pm

I have some of that pumpkin fabric left and I also have some christmas stuff that I need to get up on the site.

Off to visit my grandmother for the day, so i'll try to get everything listed when I get home.

I also got 8 new fabrics in the mail today, yay!

gpgrandma
Supporter in '07

Post   » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:26 pm

Just wondering, what purpose does the batting have in your cage liners? Do you sew everything together wrong side out and then turn it out or how do you keep the towels, if you cut them, from fraying? And they don't bunch/shrink when you wash them?

I really think this is a great idea and your products look wonderful! I am glad your business is successful-just can't wrap my head around how you make them look so great!

JensCritterDen
Guinea Pig Market

Post   » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:11 pm

The batting has two purposes. It adds extra cushion and it also keeps the fleece dry. The towel absorbs all the wetness and the batting adds an extra layer to keep the fleece dry.

I sew everything wrong side out like you mentioned. Then flip it out right. Then stitch it up. Sew around the outside, and then do another stitch 4" in to keep everything in place. They don't fray after they have been sewn.

I wash them in hot water before sewing/cutting them so they are pre-shrunk.

They don't bunch because they are sewn in the middle and on the outsides. The towel is actually on the outside so they really can't bunch. The batting is in the middle.

It is no different from sewing two pieces of fleece together with batting in the middle. Just instead of fleece on one side, it's a towel.

I was previously making them with fleece on either side, two layers of batting and a towel in the very middle. THey took much longer to dry, but even then the towel didn't bunch. It all depends on how you stitch it.

I use them in my cages with no issues, in fact they are a huge time saver.

I've had many many people place repeat orders on them as well, so there doesn't seem to be any problems with them.

I hope this answered all of your questions and thank you for the compliment.

Carrie86

Post   » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:05 pm

Jen, when you say they took longer to dry with fleece also on the outside, do you mean in the dryer or in the cage? I've always wondered why they were different than the lap pads ;)

JensCritterDen
Guinea Pig Market

Post   » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:18 pm

They took longer in the dryer. I figure with the lap pads you really need the extra protection of layers since they would be right on your lap. That way there is no chance of leakage on furniture or yourself.