VOTE this Tuesday! Your life depends on it!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:15 pm

Some of you may have voted already. Others (like me) have no choice but to vote on election day.

I pray the blue wave sweeps the nation, but it won't happen without each and every one of us voting to restore the checks and balances now required.

Captain Sully Sullenberger (a Republican) is one of many who has felt compelled to vote Democratic in this election.
Right now, the majority party in the House and Senate are not fulfilling their oath of office. They are not acting as a check and balance. We must replace with those who will. [..] I am talking to the American people. I'm saying, you are the ultimate check and balance. It is up to us, as I said in my piece, we cannot wait for someone to rescue us, we must do it ourselves, everyone, everywhere must vote in massive numbers.

Leonard Pitts on how vitally important it is to vote in this election:
https://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/leonard-pitts-jr/article220995535.html

Mark Summers at the Daily Kos pulls a quote from Pitt's article:
We could lose it all. We could lose our country here.

Maybe you think that’s alarmist. But anyone who is sanguine about America’s future has not been paying attention to America’s present.

Let’s take an episode from last week as an instructive example. As you will recall, our regrettable president claimed the power, at his sole discretion, to overturn the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Which is patently absurd. That’s not the way America works. A president cannot declare some part of the Constitution — the Constitution! — null and void on his authority. Only dictators can do that.
Be ready.

Vote.

GPIG

Post   » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:09 am

President Obama called my house today, so did the Governor, some former Governors, I'm an important guy!

I did have a moment of encouragement today when I realized about half of the political commercials I heard, the candidate was stressing how they were for the people, not the party, at least that's what they were saying. Maybe my message is getting out there. I mean, if the former President is leaving messages for me....

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:04 pm

I knew you were an impressive guy, GPIG ;-)

I have not had Obama call me (I seldom pick up). But Tim Kaine, my senator up for reelection (great guy) did leave a message about meeting him at a bar. I generally don't go out at night so he got stood up. I think he'll forgive me (did I say he's a great guy?).

I will be voting for him today for sure! Will leave soon!!!!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:44 pm

Did he win?

I got a call from Obama twice!

The guy running against Claire McCaskill won, which didn't surprise me. We're a very red state now, except for the major cities. She only won last time because her opponent (R) Tom Akin said

:Former Missouri Congressman Todd Akin went on MSNBC Thursday morning to try to explain his much-maligned comments from 2012 in which he said abortions wouldn’t be necessary for rape victims. “If it’s legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut the whole thing down,” he told a St. Louis TV station in 2012."

I guess that was too much even for backward Missouri.

"Josh Hawley (our new senator) decided to use your taxpayer dollars to file a lawsuit that would... end all of the consumer protections under the ACA."

And yet while campaigning he told bold faced lies that he supports protection of pre-existing conditions.

Disgusting.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:58 pm

Tim Kaine won easily. He has lots of support here in Virginia and was running against a particularly despicable republican.

I respected McCaskill. I'm sorry she didn't win. Being a democratic senator in a red state can be tough.

GPIG

Post   » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:14 pm

I don't have a party affiliation but I try to not vote for the guy whose been indicted. Didn't work out. My state elected the guy who had been indicted, Menedez.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:50 pm

GPIG, at least you don't live in Nevada, where the Republicans overwhelmingly elected a dead pimp to the Senate.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:03 am

I heard about that, bpatters. Quite the republican feat!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:49 am

I'm so proud of Harris County, Texas (Houston's county). Democrats swept every county office in 2016 and 2018, so they hold them all! We had some great people running.

sef1268

Post   » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:56 am

The exit polls are always an interesting read:
https://www.cnn.com/election/2018/exit-polls

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:26 am

Lots of info. There are democrats everywhere.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:45 pm

Lots of interesting data!

12 posts • Page 1 of 1