COVID-19

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:16 pm

I have several relatives who have gotten covid19 in Wisconsin. So tragic the governor is prevented from doing things right.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:40 am

Regarding Dr. Fauci:

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:48 am

It's getting close down here. We've gone from about 15 cases in my zip code a month ago to about 140 yesterday (and those are Texas' wildly undercounted numbers). One person who worked at NASA near me has died. My neighbors two doors down both got it. She's recovered, he was transferred earlier this week to the one of the big hospitals downtown and is in ICU on an ECMO machine.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:58 am

I'm sure you're careful bpatters. Just stay safe & keep us posted as to your well-being.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:08 pm

Here, too. We averaged a case or two for weeks. Two deaths. Now we're up over 400 cases as of this morning and 7 reported deaths (although, I suspect the deaths are much higher).

Local newspaper issued a "proclamation" from the mayor and the mayors of three surrounding towns yesterday, strongly urging residents to wear masks due to the spike in cases. I was out on an errand this morning and saw a grand total of 2 people wearing one.

Going to be a rough summer.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:16 pm

Who needs Fauci? Meet trump's latest Coronavirus expert:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/stella-immanuel-trumps-new-cov ... ychloroquine

"She has often claimed that gynecological problems like cysts and endometriosis are in fact caused by people having sex in their dreams with demons and witches...She alleges alien DNA is currently used in medical treatments, and that scientists are cooking up a vaccine to prevent people from being religious."

Crazy4me

Post   » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:09 pm

OMG (facepalm)! I guess if you had been telling the American people that this virus will magically go away and to drink Bleach, well the above is not surprising.

Trump seems to be grabbing at straws here and his uneducated supporters. As far as I am concerned, the more crap that comes out of his mouth, the worse it's going to get for him as far as re-election; so he can continue to shoot himself in the foot till election day, then we can give him the boot!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:47 pm

Wow, Sef, just wow!!!! This is the kind of thing you just gotta share (rips up her masks...).

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:26 am

Yup, she's a nut case and Trump has a new "doctor." I just watched PBS Frontline: United States of Conspiracy about Alex Jones and Roger Stone and their influence on Trump. Scary.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:22 am

Two very useful links. I think the first one is more important; the second might give Sef some useful ideas! I think ventilation is SUPER important. Note also that eye protection is now being advised along with distancing and masks and just plain staying at home.

We Need to Talk About Ventilation
How is it that six months into a respiratory pandemic, we are still doing so little to mitigate airborne transmission?
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/07/why-arent ... sion/614737/

Reopening the Office? Here’s How to Stymie Transmission of Covid-19.
https://hbr.org/2020/07/reopening-the-office-heres-how-to-stymie-transmission-of-covid-19

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:38 am

The trump administration's failure to control the spread of Covid19 is often considered gross incompetence. A devastating article at Vanity Fair describes the calculated move to drop a workable plan to let the virus run wild - because it seemed democratic states were the ones to suffer. Let that sink in. Doing nothing so more people would die. I have no words.

How Jared Kushner’s Secret Testing Plan “Went Poof Into Thin Air”
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/07/how-jared-kushners-s ... nto-thin-air
This spring, a team working under the president's son-in-law produced a plan for an aggressive, coordinated national COVID-19 response that could have brought the pandemic under control. So why did the White House spike it in favor of a shambolic 50-state response?
The article is long and detailed. At least one expert called in to help Kushner's team (working separately from ) felt they were working "with the nation’s best interests in mind."
"By early April, some who worked on the plan were given the strong impression that it would soon be shared with President Trump and announced by the White House. The plan, though imperfect, was a starting point. Simply working together as a nation on it “would have put us in a fundamentally different place,” said the participant.

But the effort ran headlong into shifting sentiment at the White House. Trusting his vaunted political instincts, President Trump had been downplaying concerns about the virus and spreading misinformation about it—efforts that were soon amplified by Republican elected officials and right-wing media figures. Worried about the stock market and his reelection prospects, Trump also feared that more testing would only lead to higher case counts and more bad publicity. Meanwhile, Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House’s coronavirus response coordinator, was reportedly sharing models with senior staff that optimistically—and erroneously, it would turn out—predicted the virus would soon fade away.

Against that background, the prospect of launching a large-scale national plan was losing favor, said one public health expert in frequent contact with the White House’s official coronavirus task force.

Most troubling of all, perhaps, was a sentiment the expert said a member of Kushner’s team expressed: that because the virus had hit blue states hardest, a national plan was unnecessary and would not make sense politically. “The political folks believed that because it was going to be relegated to Democratic states, that they could blame those governors, and that would be an effective political strategy,” said the expert.

That logic may have swayed Kushner. “It was very clear that Jared was ultimately the decision maker as to what [plan] was going to come out,” the expert said."
There is no government guidance or support even now. Billions of dollars are needed for testing and contract tracing. The feds will not help. It will kill thousands.

Much much more in this article. An eye opener.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:43 am

I will read it today, along with the other info--thanks, Lynx.

I keep asking myself, At what point does this administration's blatant disregard for the welfare of its citizens rise to the level of crimes against humanity?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:38 pm

I've seen talk about that on some twitter feeds. One guy said this is one for the Hague.
From Wiki:
It "hosts the International Court of Justice, one of the most important courts in the world"

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:58 am

This is just so sad.

What Does America’s Coronavirus Response Look Like Abroad? | NYT Opinion
The United States leads the world in Covid-19 deaths, nearing 150,000 lost lives. The unemployment figures brought on by the pandemic are mind-boggling. The Trump administration’s slow and haphazard response has been widely criticized. But what does it look like to young people around the world, whose governments moved quickly and aggressively to contain the coronavirus?

We wanted to know, so we reached out to quite a few and showed them charts, facts, photos and videos illustrating the U.S. response. Spoiler: They were not impressed.

Many advanced economies, from Germany to Singapore, directly supplemented salaries to save jobs. Other nations with fewer resources started mass testing at the first sign of an outbreak. Many countries mandated universal lockdowns — and successfully flattened the curve. In some parts of Europe, you could be fined for straying too far from your home. And Vietnam, a nation of 95 million people, has not seen a single Covid-19 death.

This Opinion video is a follow-up to a popular video we produced last year, which asked young Europeans to respond to American policies such as health care and parental leave. Many comments suggested we produce a sequel. Well, here it is — the Covid-19 edition.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:14 pm

No one is immune. And one day trump will get it too.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:23 pm

Oh, dear! I'm so sorry to hear about DeWine. He falls into the high risk category so I hope he will be okay. While not perfect, overall he has done a good job managing the coronavirus in Ohio. He has followed the advice of health experts and was one of the first governors to start shutting down schools and large public gatherings in March. His public health advisor took a lot of the criticism but he stood by her stating all decisions were his and all criticism should be directed at him. He has had regular press briefings to keep everyone informed. Initially they were daily, including on Saturdays and Sundays. He postponed today's briefing because he was to meet with Trump but rescheduled it for tomorrow.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:33 pm

It sounds like he was one of the few republican governors to do the right thing. I hope he's okay too. He looked rather elderly.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:03 pm

I have a lot of respect for him. He has appeared on CNN quite a few times, speaking out about the virus and trying very hard to do the right thing despite the pressure from trump and his administration to quickly re-open the state.

Hope he is okay.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:47 am

Sounds like he tested again and it showed that DeWine does NOT have Covid.

373 posts