Misc posts on topical issues

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:31 pm

From Richard Engel, NBC news chief foreign correspondent:

The commander of Kurdish forces in Syria, Mazlum Kobane, told me the Kurds are facing a campaign of “ethnic cleansing” by Turkey and its radical militias. The Kurds estimate ¼ million people have already left border towns. UN says 160,000. Whatever the number, it’s growing fast.

From Laurence Tribe, Constitutional Law Prof. at Harvard:

Trump’s name will forever be linked with the word “betrayal”:

Betrayal of the our loyal allies the Kurds,

Betrayal of our battle against ISIS,

Betrayal of Ukraine,

Betrayal of Truth,

Betrayal of his Oath of Office,

Betrayal of the United States of America.

Do you guys want me to stop with the depressing news?

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:25 pm

In the era of Trump, is there any other kind of news?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:45 pm

Betrayal is indeed what he will be remembered for. It will follow him to his grave.

p.s. I admire Eugene Robinson a great deal. He has a good head on his shoulders.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:00 pm

I always liked him, too. Haven't watched him in ages, though.

This is an older article but has a rather interesting suggestion:
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/12/11/biden-2020-running-mate-romney-222861

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:19 am

Interesting idea - not sure if it would work. 'Course things have changed some with Biden under attack about his son. Whether there was wrongdoing or not (I think not - just poor judgement) Republican assaults can turn falsehoods into fact for a lot of people - even Dems.

R.I.P.:

Elijah Cummings, the "Conscience of Congress"

Jessye Norman

(really spectacular starting at about 3:00)

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:57 am

I still can't believe it. He was the same age as my husband. I had hoped that it would be Cummings who would ultimately bring Trump to his knees. Who will step up, now?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:32 pm

We've got other good people in the House, but no one quite like Cummings.

Crimes Against Humanity:

GPIG

Post   » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:53 pm

Genocide/Crimes against Humanity - Margaret Tutweiler.

During the Rwanda Genocide she was a State Department spokeswoman. Roughly 1/2 a million Rwandan's had been murdered, hacked to death with machetes for the most part - SF were on line literally sleeping on tarmacs with gear waiting for an order that never came to go to stop it. Margaret Tutweiler was being asked by media in a press conference about it and someone asked if she believed Genocide was presently occurring. Her response: Well that depends on what you consider genocide" I was watching that conference on TV and as long as i live will never forget it.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:51 pm

I was just listening to a Hidden Brain podcast from April 2018:
Romeo and Juliet in Kigali

It recalled the genocide in Rwanda. Described an ongoing effort to ensure it never happened again, based on research by a psychologist who was also a Holocaust survivor.

I ran across a horrible description of the rape, stoning and murder of a Kurdish woman. Did not hear it repeated by major news sources so don't know if it was true. The description was gruesome.

GPIG

Post   » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:14 pm

I'm sure it's true in principal, unimaginable events are always happening near war zones, and elsewhere too. I used to beleive war brouoght out an animalistic extinct in humans but learned that's not true. Annimals aren't as cruel as humans can be.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:00 pm

"I used to believe war brought out an animalistic extinct in humans but learned that's not true. Animals aren't as cruel as humans can be."

Absolutely.

GPIG

Post   » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:28 am

Yup. Well in any event I can't stay away, there are too many offers and too many errands to be done for someone like me. I accept it. I guess I am like every other pathetic old boxer that keeps going back in the ring one more time.

I'm going back in a couple days. Just watching, observing some might call it. Is there a UN any longer? No there isn't. Be well everyone, I'll write if I can.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:27 am

Take care, GPIG.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:29 am

Yes, take care of yourself.

I thought your wife would be knocking some sense into you - she needs to take up boxing.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:29 pm

Stay safe, GPIG. And thank you for your service.

I read somewhere that our civilization is really just a thin veneer over the barbarism of human history.

rjespicer

Post   » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:25 pm

GPIG.

I guess that while the rest of us look on and wonder "What can I do?" you look and think to yourself "I know exactly what to do and exactly how to do it"

Keep your head down Sir and be sure to beat the clock.

GPIG

Post   » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:38 am

Well thank you rjespicer and everyone else. As it turns out I will not be going. I will be staying home in the boring existence society has carved out for me as "appropriate"

I'm an open book so what the heck... there was a gathering today at my home, errr a meeting. Some might call it an intervention. There was a professional there also. Someone I went to during my active addiction. He was running the show.

I had promised my family a couple trips ago I would not be working for... whoever anymore and in dangerous parts of the world. I had missed a lot during my deployments through my service years and worried many people, apparently. Everyone seemed to want to pin me down for an answer to the simple question why are you going? Damn, I wish rjespicer was there, I could have used that answer!

So my answers: the money they are paying is ridiculous and it's safe, I'm not going into combat, I'm not a mercenary, it's really only some security here and there, some observing, some teaching. So the "group" seemed to have a counter for everyone of my answers with one of theirs - "you don't need the money, you have job/business, your wife has a job" etc. Me again: But it's ridiculous type money. Them again with answer: For ridiculous work!

Sons of a gun, that one came from Bernadette Arnold appearing by skype.

So all kidding aside, when I noticed my gentle giant son who's never done a wrong thing in his life, who would defend me through thick and thin crying, I knew something was terribly wrong. I took a walk with him and he explained in the way only he can to me, what was wrong. I had to listen, and listen with my heart and head. He was right and I lead myself to the conclusion I'm being selfish.

I'm like I said above, an old fighter craving one more minute of glory somehow. I wish it was all altruistic rjespicer and I think there is maybe a small percent of what you said but there is a lot of selfishness. Knowing how to do it and being too old to do it are part of the worry.

I'm in really good shape but I once told EP a story, that of course she remembered and recounted about how the Taliban in Afghanistan, when we were young and soldiers even, climbed/ran up a mountain after us in about 1/2 the time it took us to race up it - we were shocked how fast they were. They were goat herders, so of course they could. EPigs recounted how I also always say no matter how good you are........

Bernadette Arnold yet again who always has that damn phone out - with about 3-4 old recordings of me saying out loud - If you keep going into combat zones, sooner or later your head and a bullet are going to be in the same place at the same time.

I can't put my family through the worry anymore that I've been ignoring. I've given a little of what went on but there was a lot more. I really felt low, and still do. The things that were said were pretty ugly and none of them were said with anger or to be mean. They were all true too, that's what hurts so much.

rjespicer

Post   » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:46 am

GPIG

Two mentions in one post, careful I might actually start to think I talk sense some of the time.

Having been on their side of a similar situation, as you know, I can see their point and have to empathize. When you are out there you know you are OK all of the time, they dont, and that means every time the phone rings there is always the worry that it is "That Call"

It's a tough decision but II think from what you have said, deep down, you know it is the right decision you just had to hear it from them.

I dont know if you got my DM but it sounds like it is time to let some someone else watch the shoreline. Your comments about heads and bullets maybe true, or they may not, but do you really want to put it to a practical test? Its a similar philosophy to that rhyme I mentioned before about old soldiers and bold soldiers.

I am sure there are other, safer, ways you can put your skills and experience to use and still make a difference.

As a wise pilgrim once told me you will never fix the fighting out there, it is tribal. We screwed things up when we decided to draw artificial borders on a map and thereby forced once nomadic tribes to stay in one place creating a powder keg.

It will be a tough adjustment but it's just another task for you to Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome

They say that the something as insignificant as the flapping of a butterflies wings can cause great change, based on what little I know of what you have been involved with I think you amount to a butterfly tornado. You have undoubtedly saved and changed lives.

Your family are lucky to have you and want to keep you and vice versa. Time to make time for them, and yourself.

That said when my Uncle made a similar choice I dont think it took too long before my Aunt started wondering if there was some other way to get him out of the house so she could get some peace and quiet;)

Good luck

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:53 am

I'm with the family.

That they so desperately want you to hold to the decision you made a while back not to engage shows how much they love you. But you know that.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:32 pm

GPIG -
As soon as I read your second sentence I thought, I bet your family is relieved. I certainly would be.

As an aside "We screwed things up when we decided to draw artificial borders on a map and thereby forced once nomadic tribes to stay in one place creating a powder keg." Yes indeed. Many years ago my dad said, if we have another world war it will start in the Middle East. That was in the 1970's & I don't know if it is still true, but it's still a powder keg. It's almost like tectonic plates.

253 posts