And in Other Trump News & Weather...

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:37 am

I have been an unfailing supporter and admirerer of Nancy Pelosi. She knows what she is doing. That the Democrats have taken the house and will finally do the job that Republicans have failed at is inspiring. I can't wait to see the results of their work.

That article was good. Too often tv clips miss too much. This was better than most.

GPIG

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:34 pm

I like Nancy Pelosi also. I greatly admired her stance during the financial crisis - she did what was needed instead of pointing out who's fault it was. She listened to the advice of the people who knew best, despite their politics.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:54 pm

She handled the situation greatly! It seemed like Trump didn't quite know what to do with her. She is a highly skilled politician, she knows how to wield power & that's just what we need in the House.

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:39 am

Couldn't stomach watching the State of the Union address last night, but we checked in occasionally just to watch Nancy Pelosi's reaction to some of the BS Trump was spewing (including his call for an end to "ridiculous" investigations). Her 'applause' at the end pretty much says it all:

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:40 am

I ran across an excellent gif that caught one of her reactions. Pelosi is fab.

Watch for deconstructions of the trump speech listing his lies. I did not listen to it either (was terribly long) but waited until Ms. Abrams was on. She was an inspiration and hit all the right notes.

TeddyGram
Supporter

Post   » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:05 pm

Where else but “Pigs ‘n Politics” to talk about last night? Stacey Abrams has my vote. And I’m hoping today’s mainstream news continues to reveal the repeated and outright lies in the orange one’s speech. It frightened me how well the speech was written (not by my standards) and how low he stooped to gain sympathy for himself: children with cancer and Holocaust Survivors? Too much.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:43 pm

I like Stacey Abrams too. I didn't (couldn't - blah blah blah in orange,gag gag) watch the show, got involved in a book (Agatha Christie) & missed her response. I saw some Pelosi clips & yes the lies just go on & on.

rjespicer

Post   » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:25 pm

I dont feel I can comment too much on the state of US politics given the fact that that UK politics is in just as big a mess.

However in the UK the phrase "Pigs 'n Politics" has a whole other, less wholesome, connotation
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/21/david-camer ... xford-secret

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:42 pm

Ah, thanks for the heads up, rjespicer! I think we won't be naming anything like that here!

And here you go, Bookfan! (in case you want to listen to Stacy):

GPIG

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:27 am

I thought poor Nancy Pellosi's head was going to explode. I give her credit for acting dignified

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:08 am

She is definitely someone to be reckoned with. Never to be underestimated.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:28 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that picture of her clapping at him. He's met his match, methinks!

rjespicer

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:17 pm

Maybe its just me but when I saw the clip of her clapping like that it looked like she was a Mum congratulating her toddler on using the potty for the first time without help.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:27 pm

I just listened to Stacey Abrams speech and I have one question - why did this woman lose?

TeddyGram
Supporter

Post   » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:42 pm

This link is to a longish story but also includes an article that gives insight into why Stacey Abrams may not have won. My awesome idealistic daughters used to give me hope but now they’re losing hope, too.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:10 pm

I think I already know the back story of some of this theft but will listen when I have time.

She is an inspiring woman.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:42 pm

She lost because she was robbed. The Georgia GOP did the most egregious voter suppression you can imagine.

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:57 pm

Agree.

Anyone see this gem? From Huffington Post:

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) exposed some of the biggest flaws and loopholes in campaign finance laws this week ― and she did it in just five minutes.

During a hearing, the freshman lawmaker created a game in which she pretended to be “a really, really bad guy” who wants to abuse the system as much as possible. Then, in a series of questions, she exposed the world of payoffs, dark money, PACs and more. She even revealed how it was perfectly legal for a lawmaker to invest in an industry, then write laws to benefit that industry and increase the value of the investment.

And as lax as the laws are for members of Congress, there are even fewer restrictions for a president.

See her full takedown below, courtesy of NowThis News:

Last edited by sef1268 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2019

Post   » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:02 am

Yes, sickening what happened to Abrams. Like what happened to Al Gore. I look forward to her getting some righteous vengeance.

54 posts