What is normal guinea pig pee and how to tell if one is pregnant

kailaeve1271

Post   » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:32 pm

I NEED HELP! I think my pig is in labor. She is hunched up in the corner occasionally squeaking. When I try to touch her she bites me and screams so I can't check for contractions! Jitterbug is even jumping in between me and her to keep me from touching her. When I place food in the cage Jitter will take it to Charlotte and feed it to her. She WILL NOT move from the corner. She's hunched up so much it looks painful I'm really worried! If anyone has any idea if this is labor and what to do PLEASE TELL ME

kailaeve1271

Post   » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:43 pm

Update: She suddenly stopped and is acting normal. I have no idea what just happened

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:22 pm

This is all I know. Have a vet lined up in case there are complications:

labor.html

WICharlie

Post   » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:24 pm

If she's pregnant, she might be feeling the babies move every now and then and it might cause her some discomfort or she might be uncomfortable from feeling stretched/heavy. If you think she is ever in labor, don't bother her. Just try to be watchful but give her some space/privacy.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:01 am

I think it's just the babies moving cause she was doing it randomly throughout the night and I don't see any babies in the cage yet. I have a vet appointment tomorrow so I'll find out what's going on then and keep everyone up to date

kailaeve1271

Post   » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:29 pm

The vet is unsure how far along she is, but she is in fact pregnant with two babies and they are due any week now.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:15 am

How can you tell when the pelvic bones move? I read that that's when they are about to give birth. I tried feeling but I have no idea what I'm looking for and it seems different every day

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:32 pm

You can't tell when they move, you can only feel the separation. But it's no guarantee of when the birth will actually take place, and the sow will be VERY appreciative if you'll just let her the heck alone. You can't do anything about when the pups are coming, you can't tell when they're coming, and the sow is miserable anyway.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:41 pm

I'm not trying to bother her but when she squeaks out and approaches me I'm going to give her the attention she wants. I'm not constantly on top of my pigs trying to get attention from them but usually in the morning they approach me. I will clarify that if she seems bothered in any way I leave her be and when she allows me to pet her (I won't hold her again until the babies are born) I give her a treat such as a small piece of lettuce because I know she's uncomfortable and just wants sleep and food right now. I'd never do anything my Piggies didn't like unless it was for their own health. I'm sorry if this comes across snappy it's not supposed to be I just want to clarify that I love my pigs very much and I wouldn't do anything to push them away or hurt them :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:41 pm

You're doing fine. Just take great care if you have to lift or handle her. Avoid doing so if possible.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:06 am

Okay! Shes gotten to a size where I'm scared to lift her and one side seems way more swollen that the other for some reason. She's also finding it hard to climb up her ramp.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:31 am

Guinea pigs have what is called a bicornate uterus -- two horns. She may have more pups in one side than the other.

Put all her hay, food and water in a place where she doesn't have to climb the ramp, and put a hidey close by in case she decides she wants to go in one.

And don't lift her unless its absolutely necessary, such as to put a dry pad under her so she's not laying in her own urine.