Broken leg?

Nannub

Post   » Wed May 24, 2017 11:45 am

Thanks @Lynx

Nannub

Post   » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:28 am

UPDATE:

During the past week we've seen improvement on Victoria's situation. I don't know if switching her to Metacam again did the trick or what, but she started standing on her own, even though the joints on her back legs are completely stiff. She also "walked" a little bit (wobbly walk because of the same reason) and she now moves herself into a tunnel she has close by to sleep at night or naps... We're so excited to see her getting a little bit better every day. She is also almost back to her weight before she got sick. She's a strong little one!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:05 pm

That is such good news! I wonder if some physical therapy (gentle manipulation, perhaps in warm water) might help her back legs.

Nannub

Post   » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:05 am

We'll talk to our vet about the physical therapy :)
We're taking Victoria's cage mate in for a checkup on Monday. We found what looks/feels like a pea sized lipoma on her side and we'd like to get it checked just in case. It doesn't seem to be bothering her at all, but better safe than sorry right?

As of yesterday, Victoria's current weight is 685 grams. Her lowest was 595 grams 3 weeks ago, since then she's been getting better and stronger every day. Our only struggle is keeping her cage mate away because she slowly walks towards Victoria acting nonchalant and whenever we look away she takes her veggies and runs lol

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:50 pm

Sounds like one sneaky guinea pig!

Around here, it is sneaky squirrels that I have so much trouble with. At least a pet is the one getting the food!

Nannub

Post   » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:55 pm

UPDATE on Nami (the sneaky pig)

We took her to the vet on Monday to have her lump checked. Vet says is a sebaceous cyst and skin looks great on top of it. They took a sample of the material inside to test and she confirmed that was that and that unless it ruptured or got bigger and cause discomfort or pain to Nami there was no reason to be worried about. She said if it ruptures we should take her in to get some antibiotics just in case.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:06 pm

Keep an eye on it. If those get too big, they can be surgically removed without too much trouble. But if they don't grow or bother the pig, your vet is right, leave it alone.

Do keep an eye on it, though.

Nannub

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:51 am

Thanks for the advice @Talishan. We will keep a close eye on it :D

Nannub

Post   » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:03 pm

I wanted to UPDATE you all on Victoria.
After a little bit over 9 months since the symptoms started, several months of treatment and everything that we went through with her, I'm happy to tell you guys that even though the joints in her back legs are stiff because the bones fused together, she's able to run across the cage again. She started getting up and learning to balance again with her legs and became stronger and stronger over the past few months and now she walks/runs across the cage, stands up when she sees us bringing veggies and it's always alert and happy. We're still giving her .04ml of metacam a day but some days it looks like she doesn't even need it. She's also back to her normal weight and we can see she's develop a lot of muscle again. We can no longer see her bones and she doesn't cry when picked up. Thanks everyone for keeping us in your thoughts during this time and for all the advice!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:43 pm

What great news! I am so happy to hear she is doing so well. I hope she continues to do so for years.

Nannub

Post   » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:53 am

Thanks @Lynx !!! Me too!

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:38 pm

Glad she is doing better!

I wanted to point out that new guidelines for meloxicam (Metacam) dosage give cavies much larger amounts of medication.