Young Female Guinea Pig Abscess! I need help!

Henry and Cel

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:03 pm

I have two beautiful guinea pigs named Henry and Celestine (both female). Celestine, the younger female piggy, has had struggles with abscesses. She first had an abscess that was lanced and drained and healed but a new one has grown back. The abscess is on her chin/neck area and is quite large.

I have no exotic vet close to me so I have been going to my local vet who said they would take her in. They told me she would need surgery because it has a hard capsule that when lanced and drained will continue to fill up over and over. The vet told me that it is a dangerous area to perform surgery.

They also said it was quite large and I am currently giving her baytril to try and reduce the size before surgery. I know there are many risks for surgery and anesthesia for guinea pigs and I am very nervous about it. I have never experienced something like this and I am a teenager who is not in control of all the decisions. There is an exotic vet an hour away from me that seems to have experience with guinea pigs but my parents want to use the local vet.

What should I do about this situation? Should I go through with the surgery with a vet who doesn't have much experience and hope for the best? Is surgery the best option? I am really lost here and do not want to lose my baby. The vet is acting like they can do it and there is already a date set near the end of july. Although the vet is acting confident in a way I feel they really haven't seen guinea pigs much if at all for this kind of thing.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:47 pm

Sounds like classical cervical lymphadenitis -- see https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 439#160439.

Please do NOT use the local vet. Small animal vets are trained in the care of cats and dogs, not pocket pets. What little exotic training they get covers everything from gerbils to giraffes. In the long run, you'll save time and money with an exotic vet, and your pig will be far safer, particularly if anesthesia is required.

CL is a treatable condition, but don't put it off. If those lumps rupture, you'll have a real mess on your hands, and it's very contagious.

Good luck with her, and keep us posted on how she's doing.

Henry and Cel

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:11 pm

Should I separate my guinea pigs or is it okay for now because you mentioned it being contagious? What should I do if I can't get to the exotic vet? Also if I were to go to the exotic vet is there any advice on having a guinea pig in an hour long car trip?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:46 pm

You should get to the exotic vet, by hook or by crook.

You can put him in a cat carrier, or in a box with holes in it. Pet supply stores sell cardboard pet transport boxes for about $7. Take some lettuce in a plastic bag with a tablespoon or so of water in it, and give him a piece every half hour or so.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:18 pm

Ditto on the strong possibility this is cervical lymphadenitis. If you are unable to get your parents to see the exotic vet, find out if the local vet could consult with them. Guinea pigs cannot tolerate some medications. Do read the link bpatters posted.

WICharlie

Post   » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:41 pm

I've had guinea pigs travel much longer than an hour in a box and there has been no problems. Three to four hours is not out of the question as long as you have air conditioning in summer or heat in winter. Put a few air holes in the top, line the bottom with bedding over newspaper, throw in a carrot and go.

Almost all abscesses have to heal from the inside out with the abscess being drained and then flushed regularly (at least 4 times a day). The vet will have to show you how to flush it.