Dark and soft poo- please help

Eva121

Post   » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:35 pm

In the morning they get a slice of bell pepper, a big green leaf of lettuce, and then I mix in whatever vegetables I have at home.Sometimes they get greenbeans, spinach, carrots *not a lot*, baby corn, cherry tomatoes *I dont give these often*, bean sprouts, etc. I also give them 1 small slice of fruit a week. I also feed them at night.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:18 pm

I think I'd be tempted to try a probiotic for a few days and see if that helps. I buy Garden Acidophilus from Amazon.com:

You can just open up a capsule and sprinkle on their veggies. I think I usually do 1/2 capsule once or twice a day.

Eva121

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:05 am

The probiotic will take about a month to get here but I do have Lactobacillus Acidophilus made with Papaya Puree.
Could that work?

Eva121

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:09 am

I also have a PB8 Probiotic, its in a capsule but its also for humans. Could that one work?
I am just asking because the poops have not gotten better and the probiotics I ordered online wont come for another month.
I also talked to my vet again and she suggested the same probiotic or some Fibreplex. Both wont come until a month from now.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:18 pm

You could give them a try, especially the human one (sounds like it is less likely to have sugars in it).

Eva121

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:07 pm

Okay! Thank you!

Eva121

Post   » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:04 am

I have been giving each piggy half a capsule of PB8 for three days now. I think their poos are getting a tad firmer. Should I give them the PB8 until it's better? Or just for a week? Their poo is also a bit brown in one spot, like in a line, then black in the rest? Is that anything to worry about?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:01 am

The brown with a black line is nothing to worry about.

Generally speaking, probiotics may help and should not hurt. You could continue for a while and then give less frequently until you think it is resolved.

www.guinealynx.info/probiotics.html

Eva121

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:39 pm

So, the probiotics have not made much a difference, at all. I am giving half a capsule a day for each. Should I up the amount or just give up on this medicine? In a 2 weeks or so the fibreplex will arrive, so should I just do nothing for the 2 weeks?

Eva121

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:52 pm

One more question...
So, the guinea pigs poos are also REALLY smelly
I wouldn't say they are super suuupeerrr smelly or anything but there is definitely an odor.
Could this be caused by the stomach problems they are having (aka soft poos)?
Has anyone experienced and if so what did you do to fix it?
I did go to my vet, she still told me to use some Fibreplex, but I am still interested in suggestions to help the piggies.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:44 am

Guinea pigs produce two kinds of poops. Cecal poops are soft, greenish, and very smelly. They're the ones that they usually eat to help with digestion. Fecal poops are the "beans" you see in the cage. They vary in color from black to brown to tan, depending on what the pig has had to eat.

It's rare to see the cecal poops, because the pigs retrieve them from their butts and eat them. The fecal poops usually don't have any odor unless they've been peed on.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:31 pm

You need to keep to a single topic. You have started multiple topics related to this in the medical forum.

Do not start any more topics in the medical forum for the guinea pig with this issue.