Harvey Medical Thread

HarveytheGP
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:59 pm

Thank you for your honest thoughts bpatters, I've really appreciated all your insight. I wish I knew how much pain he was in. He's definitely uncomfortable when going to the bathroom, I just don't know where it would rank on a scale of things. Significant strain/vocalized discomfort, but otherwise seems to be living life normally, at least for now.

In your experience, have antibiotics/pain meds had seriously adverse effects, or have they been generally well tolerated?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:18 pm

My last pig had very severe arthritis in her knees -- the joints were almost non-existent. I took her to the vet because she started hopping, and the x-rays turned up the arthritis.

She was eight, and I didn't want to do anything drastic, so the vet and I decided to try pretty high doses of metacam. Her walking immediately improved, as did her appetite, and she lasted several months with no apparent signs of pain. However, toward the end, she went downhill pretty suddenly, and I had her euthanized.

So pain meds can be effective. Whether they're more effective in a case like mine, where the anti-inflammatory can have a positive effect, or in a case like yours, where a growing tumor is causing pain, I don't know. I suspect they're more effective against something like arthritis, because the pressure of a growing mass can cause pain in and of itself, plus the tumor itself may have pain.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:31 pm

That price for surgery is extremely high. Is this the only vet in the area or could you perhaps find a still experienced vet who would charge less? I’d be inclined to try the surgery on a young guinea pig if the price were more affordable. That said, it sounds like he might have a lot going on, so euthanasia is also a reasonable option. I’m sorry you’re faced with this situation. It’s never easy.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:41 pm

I'm a little surprised by the quoted cost of the surgery, although that is roughly what Purdue University quoted us for exploratory surgery on our Zachary's bladder several years ago. We were devastated by the prospect of having to weigh a potentially life-saving procedure against what we could afford, and unfortunately the cost consideration was too great. Is this an exotics veterinarian?

The only other thing that comes to my mind might be the use of steroids to try to shrink the mass. Maybe someone else can weigh-in on that.

This kind of decision is never easy. In your place, I think I'd give the medications a chance and monitor for improvement. Depending on the expertise of this veterinarian, I might be tempted to get a second opinion. What is his behavior like now?

If it becomes a matter of providing supportive/palliative care, there are stronger meds such as Tramadol that could be more effective in managing pain if/when Metacam no longer cuts it. Depending on his quality of life by that point, though (does he continue to be relatively bright, eats and takes interest in his surroundings?), humane euthanization would be the kindest option.

I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this.

HarveytheGP
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:37 pm

Thank you all for your support, it really means a lot. Noted in terms of the price of the surgery - it's an animal medical center, so there are definitely other options out there. We had to go in through the emergency department, and we're getting an additional consult from the avian/exotics vet that was on call.

We started him on all 4 meds this evening and will monitor over the course of the next few days. He's supposed to have a follow-up in about a week, so I think we're going to use that opportunity to get a second opinion on everything from a wildlife clinic with a specific exotics branch that aims to be more affordable. So far he's actually perked up a bit! He's eating and drinking with gusto, still is bright and chirpy, and really is only struggling with the aforementioned issues. I'm hopeful that we'll at least be able to provide him some relief from what he's been dealing with the last few days/weeks (months even - ugh), though I think we're trying as best we can to be acutely aware of the balance of what is humane and what is "stretching it" because we're not ready to let go.

I really appreciate this forum - it's a unique place and has been tremendously helpful for us these last six months. I know more about guinea pigs than I ever thought I would in a very short time!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:56 pm

Sounds good. Please do keep us posted. In the meantime, watch for any signs of digestive issues or decreased appetite. He's on two pain meds plus Baytril, which is a stronger antibiotic that can cause inappetence or diarrhea in some guinea pigs. I'd suggest using a probiotic to help keep the gut's "good" bacteria working properly:
https://www.guinealynx.info/probiotics.html

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:45 pm

Here is the handsome little guy:

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:13 am

Harvey is adorable! We wish you all the best.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:10 pm

What a handsome boy! I love the pose with his head turned to his left. I'm so sorry you're having to make this hard decision. Pepper had a tumor in her neck that was inoperable (too many blood vessels & other important stuff close by). But it never seemed to bother her until one evening she couldn't swallow and that was it.

Keep us posted.

HarveytheGP
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:59 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for your kind words. Harvey’s maintaining so far, but has developed a weird behavior of aggressively chewing fabrics (something he hasn’t done before). He’s chewed a hole in his towel (we removed it) and most recently a hole in his GuineaDad fleece liner. He’s also been chewing at the sides of his cage. It’s all been since he’s been on the heavy meds - has anyone had that experience before?

Thanks all

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:24 pm

Excessive chewing is often a sign of pain. It may be that his dose needs to be upped, or he needs a different med.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:12 pm

I agree; it could be pain. I wonder, though, if all of the meds could be causing stomach upset. You said this is something new. Is he still eating? How are his poops?