Senior female with 2 masses

Hedra2

Post   » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:39 pm

I worked for a vet for 8 years and in that time saw two guinea pigs (one was my own) who had hair loss on their back ends and both turned out to be ovarian cysts. Spaying and cyst removal fixed both of them, but they were both only 3 years old at the time. Surgery was only $200 I am shocked that Vet A wanted to charge $1800!!!

Chrisdon23

Post   » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:07 pm

I haven't updated in awhile; the vet called me the night before the surgery was scheduled and said that she no longer wanted to do a spay on her because it would be too hard on her. The vet is very confident that she has a very large ovarian cyst and she is planning on draining it however my girl has been on meds for over a month to treat a bladder infection so the vet would like that to be cleared up first.

We were using Baytril but yesterday she switched to ChlorPalm as the Baytril wasn't accomplishing anything. The vet is hoping to drain the cyst next week.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:50 pm

I hope the draining helps.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:45 am

Hopefully a combination of draining it and switching to Chlor will help. Keep us posted!

Chrisdon23

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:50 pm

They drained 20 CC’s from her ovary today and gave her a hormone injection; were supposed to go back in 2 weeks for the second hormone injection. She’s super sleepy right now so she’s not moving around on her own but she’s eating hay every time I put a pile in front of her. Her back legs seem weak lately so I’m sure that’s partly why she’s not moving around.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:22 pm

Fingers crossed for some improvement!

Chrisdon23

Post   » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:53 am

The vet removed 2 and a half tbsp of fluid from her ovary. It took a couple of days for her to be able to walk around; she was really wobbly - she almost seemed dizzy when she moved around and she had crusty discharge from her nose the following day. She was already on antibiotics; it’s been almost 4 days since her procedure and her nose discharge is pretty much gone. She’s been really active today and eating a ton of hay; I haven’t seen her move around this much in a long time. She’ll soon be 8 years old!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:01 am

Did they sedate her for the procedure? That may have made her groggy.

Glad to hear she's feeling better!

Chrisdon23

Post   » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:50 am

They did sedate her; they said it doesn’t usually take that long to clear their system but because of her age and because she hasn’t been feeling well for a while, it probably took longer. They also gave her one dose of hormones; she’ll go back in a week and a half for the second dose. Do you think her hair will start to grow back in her bald spots?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:05 pm

Probably, but no guarantees.