Not eating after start of anti-fungal medication

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:56 am

I don't know why it would level out after one month. I'd think it would depend more on how underweight they were when you got them.

In any case, I wouldn't worry about it now. Just keep track of the weights (be sure you're weighing them at the same time of day, preferably in the morning before breakfast).

Also, the fact that they're both gaining suggests that the problem isn't a cyst or a tumor -- it would be very unlikely for them both to have something like that at the same time.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:30 pm

I can't really say why they were having weight gain, without more information about their diet (what kind of pellets are you feeding, and what quantity?), but as far as Muffin, I don't think YOU did anything wrong. I think she likely suffered a bad reaction/toxicity from a combination of very heavy-duty drugs and chemicals, some of which I haven't heard of and can't really say if they were safe either individually or in combination with one another for guinea pigs. To have a guinea on two anti-parasitic drugs at the same time seems questionable enough, and then to add several other things on top of that may have been too much for her little system to handle. We don't even know if these drugs were dosed correctly.

I would let the vet's office know what happened. I would also let the rescue know what happened. It probably won't matter, as nobody will be willing to admit if a mistake was made, but I'd do it anyway.

In the meantime, what drugs are the other guinea pigs on for mites? It might be worth double-checking the dosages. What is Vapovit?

amber89

Post   » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:32 pm

I wasn't feeding them regularly pellets. They are not so widely used in Germany and Austria. The belief is that it should be more of a treat, since they can really make the piggies fat. Instead, piggies should get at least 15% of their body weight in veggies daily.
They were getting for 3 piggies around 40g pellets around 2 times a week. I am using Real Nature pellets (https://www.real-nature.com/en-ir/produ ... uniea-pig/)
I was also careful with how much sugary veggies and fruits they are receiving: red bell peppers just max twice a week, a thin slice of fruit only once a week, only 1 baby carrot per pig daily.

Pufu and Cupcake have received twice a full dosage of Stronghold 15mg and once it was shared between those two. In addition they receive every day one spray of Vapovit. The vet was saying that Pufu does'n't show signs of a fungal infection, but one can trigger an itch on him. That's why the vet gave them Vapovit, to build up their immune system so that they can fight the fungal infection without meds.

Vapovit is specially created for birds and rodents. It contains: vit A, vit D3, vit E, vit K1, vit B1, vit B2, vit B5, vit B6, vit B12, vit C, Niacin, Biotin and Emulgators and preservatives. The normal dosage for guinea pigs, according to the label is 4 sprays daily