Posey's Medical Thread

Zaphy

Post   » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:43 am

Posey is a 3 year old sow with bleeding from the vent area. We just had a guinea pig (Hazel) pass away on the 8th, and we are not certain what the issue was- still waiting on the results from the necropsy. Hazel did possibly have blood in the urine- I never got a chance to ask for urinalysis/urine culture before she passed and couldn't tell if her urine was red-tinged or just orange- but appears as far as we know at this point to have died from severe acute diarrhea. Hopefully it is just a coincidence that Posey is having issues now and hopefully it's unrelated and not an advanced or difficult issue to resolve... but given how soon it happened after Hazel's death, I am worried.

The blood is bright red. Posey has lost a small amount of weight but not a worrying amount (~20-30g). She has been engaging in unusual behavior- it started after Hazel's passing so I assumed that it was grief, or a strange way to cope with the shift in the cage hierarchy, but with this new information perhaps it is a sign of pain. She's been sucking on tufts of hair on the other guinea pigs. It doesn't appear to be full on barbering, I don't think she's biting any hair off, but I'm not sure if I would describe it as grooming either. The other pigs just walk around with little cowlicks (piglicks?) all over their rumps and don't appeared bothered by it. Apart from this she appears normal. I don't notice her hunched and poofing, she appears to be eating and drinking as normal.

Fortunately, the vet is open tomorrow morning so hopefully they'll be able to have a look at her. UNfortunately... I am leaving town the day after for over a week. I sent the vet a panicked email already (found blood in the cage last night) and chatted with them today, so they are aware of the situation (only update is that now I know it's Posey). I've got someone coming over to feed/check on my pigs once a day while I'm gone, but I may ask them to take Posey home with them in the quarantine cage so they can keep an eye on her depending on how tomorrow's visit goes. I am hopeful that these will pan out- my biggest concern is that this is Hazel's horrible illness now manifesting in Posey, and the whole herd has it, and they're all going to die one by one while I'm gone. Anyway, I'm going to give the vet a call in the morning to see what they say- just wanted to start Posey's medical thread to at least keep track of my notes in the meantime.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:59 am

It could be totally unrelated. I'd want xrays to rule out stones, and then consider reproductive or other issues. bpatters recently mentioned in another thread that some sows do bleed a little during their cycle. How much of it have you noticed? Chewing hair or other unusual things, if not her norm, could be pain related or as you said...could be remaining herd working out hierarchy. I'll leave it to someone with females to chime in on that.

I'm so sorry that you lost Hazel. Do let us know what the vet has to say.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:56 am

Ditto Sef. And have you noticed her bleeding at any other time?

I think you are familiar with the signs of stones. I certainly hope this is isolated and your other guinea pigs and this one do not have any diarrhea.
http://www.guinealynx.info/stones.html

Zaphy

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:13 pm

I just realized I never updated this. Posey seems to be doing well. I brought her to the vet and given the context of the situation, they prescribed her a round of Bactrim (also did a radiograph to check for stones, which was clear). I was able to have my pig sitter take her home in the quarantine cage so she could continue the antibiotics. No more blood in the cage that I've noticed- and it's also worth noting that she seems to have stopped bugging everyone else's rump, as well. Still haven't got the necropsy report back from Hazel, but I know those can take a while.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:14 pm

That's good news, thank you for the update!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:45 pm

Yes, thanks for the update! It is always helpful to know how a guinea pig is doing. Glad she seems to be settling down and there appear to be no stones.

6 posts • Page 1 of 1