Ringworm or mites?

Koshka

Post   » Sat Jun 01, 2002 7:12 pm

Took both my piggies to the vet today & he did a skin scraping which came out negative for mites so he perscribed some anti fungal to be applied once a day however I´ve heard sometimes the skin scraping comes up negative and there really ARE mites. I hope this liquid at least gives her some relief from the itching she seems to be doing. Poor little thing cried so loud when she got her skin scraped. I almost cried. :D Here are two pictures of my little girls.

Nadia Jean:

and Ameena wrapped in a towel ... (She´s the one with ringworm and/or mites)

lisam

Post   » Sat Jun 01, 2002 7:31 pm

Your girls are so sweet! You are right about the skin scrapings--your girls still could have mites. If they were my pigs I would treat them for mites anyway, but am not sure about doing it at the same time as the anti fungal stuff. Hopefully someone with more medical experience will be able to tell you more.

Koshka

Post   » Sat Jun 01, 2002 7:38 pm

Yah the vet said he didn´t want to give them the injection for mites right away and to try this and if it didn´t work to bring them back in. So I´ll just have to wait and see. Nadia seems to be fine .. I can´t find anything on her skin but I know ringworm has a 10 day incubation period so she could develop it in the next few days. Ameena caught it at the pet store and when I called them today just to let them know she totally treated me like I was some weirdo. She said ´well we know our pets have nothing so I think she got it from your house´ I was like ummm you keep 7 guinea pigs and 3 rabbits in a medium sized aquarium with one water bottle and one bowl of food ... you do NOT know what you´re doing and I doubt you examine them everyday for mites or sores on their skin. Evil pet store people. >:(

pinta

Post   » Sat Jun 01, 2002 7:43 pm

Usually vets treat for mites first and yes, skin scrapings are pointless and inconclusive.

You can treat with Ivermectin yourself following the instructions at GuineaLynx. I´m not sure if you can treat for fungal and mites at the same time or whether there should be a gap between treatments. Anyone else know for sure?

Koshka

Post   » Sat Jun 01, 2002 7:45 pm

I want to do the ivermectin myself but can you link me to where the information is? I just am afraid I´ll mess up or do something wrong. Where would I go to get it? Would I have to give them a shot myself cause I can´t do that. *scared*

Koshka

Post   » Sat Jun 01, 2002 8:02 pm

Yah I just found all that .. I still have some questions tho.. could I email you directly or have you not done this yourself before?

pinta

Post   » Sat Jun 01, 2002 8:03 pm

Ask Lynx, she´s the expert.