Hair Color Change q.

Wheeks R Us

Post   » Sun Jun 02, 2002 5:58 pm

Hi All,

I have a question about one of young pigs. She is about 8 months old, she is a Red American w/white crest. The hair on her hips looks as if it is turning white or grayish, it is a blond color now and she used to be red all over, the same shade all over, as far as I could tell. She is eating, drinking, peeing, and pooping, and is active, nothing out of the ordinary, so, I was wondering if it is normal for piggies hair to change colors? When I had some babies born here from a rescue situation some of their coats changed colors but they were babies, this little girl is considered full grown, so I need to know if anyone has had this happen and could anything be wrong with her? Also, the last rescue I have had was at least 3 months ago and she has never been in the room with her, and none of my other pigs have this. I may be just overreacting, but she has never been ill and I want to keep it that way :) or at least try to! She has a cagemate, she is fine as well, so its not a parasite problem, just the hair changing colors.

Thanks in advance for your help. I know this may sound silly, but I just want to make sure she is OK.

Tori
NurseLuv22@aol.com

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Sun Jun 02, 2002 7:37 pm

I don´t have any help, but your name is too cute!

lisam

Post   » Sun Jun 02, 2002 8:07 pm

My black pigs have faded as they got older, and my red roan changed also. In horses, changes occur all the time, I wonder if it is the same in pigs?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Mon Jun 03, 2002 12:51 am

Cavies can fade with age. It is not a desirable quality, but you have to learn which colors will do what later on if you want to show. In any case, the pig will not be the perfect show pig for very long since the color is bound to change somewhat.

I have also had pigs grow weird stripes and agouti-like colorings later on. Hair growth after trauma is sometimes affected in the shade of color. Genetics also play a part in it. I had some brokens with undesirable brindling show up after they were 6-8 months old. The whole line had to be readjusted, since they obviously carried a gene for it.

Glad I don´t have to worry about those things anymore. I just enjoy my poorly marked and colored pigs! LOL

pinta

Post   » Mon Jun 03, 2002 12:58 am

Willie started out with caramel eye patches at the age of 2 months which turned to dull pale dirt brown by the time he was 6 months old.

pigpal

Post   » Mon Jun 03, 2002 1:58 pm

Yup, my Willie changes color too. He´s a white/black dalmatian Peruvian and from time to time a faint apricot patch of hairs will show up on his back then fade away again over a few months. I thought the hair was stained at first and tried unsuccessfully to wash it out. Now I´ve noticed it´s a seasonal thing.

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Mon Jun 03, 2002 8:57 pm

Penny has what I think E referred to as a "fade." She is red on the tips of her hair. Probably about 1/4 of an inch. Under that she is almost a cream/red color. VERY different from the tips. When her coat is lying flat you don´t really see the fade, but if the coat is disturbed in any way is it very noticeable. Is this common too?

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Jun 03, 2002 9:02 pm

I believe fading is quite common. I was told it was one of the biggest problems with getting show quality pigs. I was also told some colors are really hard to get without the fading (like cream) and that the difference between the tip and the root is more obvious on long hair.