white stuff came out of my pig´s eyes... help.

flavia

Post   » Sun Jun 02, 2002 7:42 pm

Hi... I gave one of my pigs a bath today using the very same shampoo and methods I always do (never wash his face, etc) and as I was drying thim (blowdrying from a distance on low) I noticed some white stuff (liquid) coming out of his eyes. I wiped it, and later there was more. I have been watching him and there hasn´t been any since (that I´ve seen).

I always cover his head so I don´t blow on him or his face... He usually gets a little "sleep" on the corner of his eyes although the other pig never does. There have been no changes in food or litter other than I gave them some spinach last week.

Should I freak out? Should I run to a vet? I´m worried... Thanks in advance.

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Jun 02, 2002 7:46 pm

Wait! Wait!

When pig groom themselves (licking their front paws and rubbing their face), they have a milky white liquid that comes in the corner of their eyes. This is normal.

Was your pig drying himself by rubbing his face when this happened? If yes, everything is under control. However, if what you saw what thicker and yellowish, this could be the first signs of a URI. Keep an eye on him and try to see if he has runny eyes, a runny nose, he´s sneezing or acting differently than he usually does. Does he eat well? Is he lethargic?

flavia

Post   » Mon Jun 03, 2002 9:32 am

Yes!! He WAS grooming himself!! ~~twirls in joy~~ And it was just milky white, not very much of it or anything! He´s eating fine although he and the other pig are pretty mad at me for giving them a bath so they´re spending lots of time in the igloo yesterday and today. I´ll keep my eye on them, though.

Oh, thank God... I was so worried!! Thank you sooooo much, Evangeline!

Jill

Post   » Mon Jun 03, 2002 9:52 am

Well people, there you have a perfect example of Evangeline displaying her sweetness and innocence.

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Jun 03, 2002 9:56 am

See? See?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 03, 2002 11:45 am

I love it when Pinta and E post one before the other. Seeing that Evil and Dreaded up against Sweet and innocent always makes my day.

Sunny

Post   » Mon Jun 03, 2002 1:02 pm

Okay, I have a question.... the milky white liquid is supposed to be normal, right? But having crusty eyes is a sign of URI, right?

Well Spot gets that milky white liquid quite often, usually during floor time (maybe the activity gets his tear ducts going????). Anyway, the milky liquid will dry forming little crusties around his eyes. There is no yellow tint, it´s definately just white liquid. No runny nose, no sneezing.

A few months ago Spot was treated for a URI. But even during/after treatment, he would still get milky eyes and a little crust around his eyes.

Does this sound okay (i.e. healthy)?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 03, 2002 1:04 pm

I´m guessing it is but don´t know if the milky stuff dries like this. Mine never have sleep in their eyes but I think other people have described this.

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Jun 03, 2002 5:53 pm

One of my boars always have small crusts in the corner of his eyes. He was born here and has always been like that, even as a baby. So for him, I don´t worry because I know it,s not a URI. But when they others have them, I go on alert.

Sunny, maybe your pig is like that, too, but make sure to keep an eye on him because if he does get a URI, you may mistake the first signs for the usual crusties.

The white liquid they get in the corner of their eyes just comes out when they groom and it goes away really fast as they rub their face.

Sunny

Post   » Mon Jun 03, 2002 8:51 pm

Thanks you two.