To cure the mites .. lynx please read. :D

Koshka

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:29 am

I´ll change my avatar I promise.

I took my piggie to the vet and he didn´t find any mites but I´m sure she has them since the anti fungal crap he gave her isn´t working. I really can´t afford to take both my piggies to the vet and get them the ivomec shot. Has anybody ever done this themselves? I read it through and I guess I feel weird about doing it cause I don´t want to screw up and make my piggie sick or anything.

I´m going to get the one for sheep which is a dip, so after I mix the right amounts and mix it with water do I put some in a tub and bathe my piggie in it? And that will get rid of the mange mites? Can she give it to my other piggie? My mom said she read somewhere that my other piggie wouldn´t have it unless the one who has it dies but I´m not sure about that. They both share the same cage soo should I treat both? Any advice would be helpful. I guess I just really wanted to make sure of a few things that I didn´t understand before I rush out and buy stuff. :D

pinta

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:07 am

You need to read it more carefully - the directions are to give the Ivermectin ORALLY or in drops. You do not bathe them in it. Sorry I don´t have time to go over it in detail - maybe someone else can?

Thibault

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:50 am

Yes, you will need to treat both pigs, and fully clean their cage out afterwards.
To orally administer Ivermectin, after securing the pig so it can´t squirm away (probably want someone else to restrain her for you) you place the tip of the syringe in the molar-region of the mouth. Then slowly eject the Ivermectin - make sure there is a chewing motion, a signal that they´re swwallowing it and won´t choke.
I´m not sure if the doseage rates will be the same orally as they are injected - I don´t have much experience in doing this myself. I guess you´ll just have to wait till Lynxie pops round.

pinta

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2002 6:02 am

The info is in the ivermectin section at Guinea Lynx. I don´t think Koshka understands the mixing and dosing.

Thibault

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2002 6:12 am

Oh. Well, there goes that. I don´t really understand it either.

pinta

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2002 7:17 am

Uh oh - Lynx might have to rewrite it then. What part didn´t you get so she knows what to fix?

Thibault

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2002 7:45 am

It wasn´t so much not understanding it, just the length and thoroughness of the article makes the whole procedure seem complex & frightening. Which sounds like what happened to Koshka.
I know that all that information is necessary for us to get it right, but I suppose a brief summary at the end would help make sense of it and stop us loosing ourselves.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2002 8:12 am

All your pigs will need to be treated. Use the injectable instead of the sheep dip (you´ll find the sheep ivermectin isn´t any cheaper and is harder to find).

Sorry but the dosing instructions I have are as clear as I can get. If you can´t understand how the dose is calculated and what the dose for your pet is, you really need to consider seeing a vet.

Koshka

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2002 8:16 am

Ok this is what I read:

Notes: IVERMECTIN ADMINISTERED BOTH TOPICALLY AND ORALLY
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dawn Mills BVSc suggests you: "Dose guinea pigs with sheep Ivomec at 0.25 ml per kg body weight. Wash in cat flea shampoo [a low-dose pyrethrin based and safe for kittens shampoo is recommended], rubbing in well on scaly areas. Leave shampoo on hair for 10 minutes, then rinse off well (2 rinses). For the third and final rinse use 2 tsp. of sheep Ivomec in 2 liters of warm water, dip cavy in, and then dry without further rinsing." She recommends repeating treatment once a week for 2 to 3 weeks, more in severe cases and claims ivermectin is safe to use in pregnant sows though it is better to wait until after they have given birth to wash them as washing may be too stressful while pregnant.

------
I guess I thought it meant you only bathe the cavie in it and not give it orally as well. I did understand it but Thibault is right it´s just so long and so in depth I just don´t get what to do. What I need is directions like this:

1. Go to the store
2. Buy this product
3. Go home

etc... nice and simple. Hehe. I went to the farm store and I found the ivomec for sheep in a big white jug and I just didn´t even want to bother buying it cause I knew I had no idea what I was doing. Hopefully I´ll get some help and figure it out so I can help my baby.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2002 8:17 am

You´re reading the wrong part. Read this:

https://www.guinealynx.info/guinealynx/iverm ... #dosechart

I was trying to be thorough. Maybe I should just remove this information.
Last edited by Lynx on Tue Jun 04, 2002 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Koshka

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2002 8:19 am

Figuring out the calculations won´t be hard for me I guess it´s just I needed exact instructions on what to do and the help section went through many different ways to treat your cavie. And when you say injectable you mean you give it to them orally?

Koshka

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2002 8:20 am

Aww don´t remove it. I didn´t mean what you wrote was bad I am just the kind of person who gets things mixed up and has to be given like ´exact´ instructions. Sorry if I offended you by saying that I didn´t mean to.