Help with GP age...

Ciaytee
Almost Inbred

Post   » Wed Jun 05, 2002 6:16 pm

Besides, I don´t think of where you work as a pet store. It seems more like a pet supply store that allows rescuers to adopt out from there. Which is what should be happening everywhere.

ShaggysGurl

Post   » Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:44 pm

Ok, I will check out the info pages. I did look at them for a little bit earlier but I got sleepy and my eyes started to hurt. I do breed mice, but if I decide to breed guinea pigs it will take a long decision, considering all the risks involved. I also have hamsters and a rat. I will breed the hamsters in about three months, but I won´t breed my rat because there isn´t a demand for rats as pets. I am looking for my rat a female playmate, though. It is a difficult decision for me to decide to breed an animal. I have a three-year old male Dalmatian, but I won´t breed him because he doesn´t have papers. I don´t know if I come off as a 12 year old in my posts, but just for the record, I´m 18 and fixing to start college. I know thats irrelevant, though... I headed to the best guinea site I could find when I got my cavy. It was kind of a spurr of the moment thing, but I do have the time, patience, and money to handle just about any animal. I had also read a book on guinea pigs about two months ago, and I had been kind of wanting one anyway... I do have one more question. I am keeping my Guinea Pig in a huge clear plastic tub (like a storage bin) with no lid. There´s nothing that can get in and hurt her, I have a small dog that stays in my room, but she´s scared to death of the piggy (and bunny rabbits). Plus, she would never hurt any of my smaller pets, and often allows the mice to crawl on her back. Does this tub sound okay? Its a little bit bigger than 2X4. Do you think I would be terrible if I went and got another cavy? There was another one that I really liked that was black and white, with a rough coat, and a little mo-hawk. He was just adorable, and I keep thinking about him... I can get another cage for him. Also I used to keep rabbits, and I can make rabbit cages, so I´m pretty sure I could make guinea cages if this tub doesn´t sound like its a good choice... All of your advice has been very helpful! Thank you very much!

ShaggysGurl

Post   » Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:50 pm

Oh, I almost forgot... What are the best greens to give? And will Timothy Hay work? If not, I have some hay bales outside, but I would be afraid to give that to her... I should just give Vitamin C tablets crushed in food? Or what is a better choice? Can mixtures that advertise Guinea Pigs be used? We don´t have a lot of food options for rodents in my town. In fact, they don´t sell anything for mice so I use oatmeal and a variety of fresh fruits and the occassional scrambled eggs.

lisam

Post   » Fri Jun 07, 2002 5:43 pm

Another pig would be a wonderful companion for Vanessa. I would suggest another female, however, or a neutered male. Then they could share a cage. The cage site that was given above is really great, and will give you ideas on how much space two pigs will need.

Timothy hay is great. Some good greens are--parsley, kale, romaine lettuce, dill, cilantro, green peppers, dandelions, chard. There are many more on the page of general care. If you follow the diet of free choice timothy hay, pellets, and a cup of veggies daily, you probably don´t need to supplement with any vitamins at all.

Don´t buy any of the guinea pig mixes with little bits of colored things in it, or seeds.

bats

Post   » Fri Jun 07, 2002 6:38 pm

Hi, Shaggy.

Regarding the storage tub -- if the sides are too tall compared to the floorspace, you may get a fishtank effect where air doesn´t circulate very well. Keep an eye on this. If it is a problem, you may want to switch to the c&c cages so highly touted on http://www.cavycages.com/

Finally, please think twice before breeding. Not only are there risks, you may run into some very expensive vet visits. Save your money for college (Yes, Mom)!

Other people will also remind you that there are already too many unwanted guinea pigs who really need a home... little furry things with big eyes and ears who want you to adopt them. I couldn´t agree more -- that´s why I have 2 rescues myself.

ShaggysGurl

Post   » Fri Jun 07, 2002 6:48 pm

Hi. I have one more question again, I´ve been looking at some pictures of rex (teddy) guinea pigs, and I´m not so sure that mine is one. Her coat doesn´t look the same. Also I´m not sure what color is on her face and what marking that is called. Can anyone tell me, and also reccomend a site that has coat colors, types, and genetics (genetics are a hobby of mine)? I don´t know if you can really tell, but her coat looks more like a lamb´s than the rex pictures I saw.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/shaggysgurl5 ... %26.view=t

Also I don´t know that you will be able to view her picture with that link, but if not tell me and I will e-mail it to anyone interested. thanks again!

Evangeline

Post   » Fri Jun 07, 2002 7:54 pm

There are already too many unwanted pets in the world. Why would you want to produce some more? Getting a second pig is a great idea, but you should really adopt a homeless one. And you should think of building a real cage. As it´s been said, aquariums and deep plastic bins are not suitable for pigs because they don´t allow air circulation.

I don´t know of any sites on genetics. I´ve learned a few things here and there, but since I´m against breeding, I haven´t researched genetics sites. If you want to look at a few breeds and varieties pictures, you could visit these pages:
http://www.meerschweinchen.de/pictures_e.html
http://www.oginet.com/Cavies/shows1.htm

If you want to email me pictures of your pig, I´ll try to help you figure out what she is. One thing I know is that she isn´t a Rex. She might be a Teddy, though.

MINNIE051202

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2002 10:32 am

It is possible that you have a runt. I had a runt before and she was very small, even as a 3-year-old.

Teresa

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2002 11:52 am

And you may want to take a look at this page about breeding before you decide to turn a pet into breeding stock: www.cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm.

There is a new and interesting quote there from the current president of the cavy breeder´s association (thanks to Josephine for sending me the issue).

And, on that subject, I now have 51 guinea pigs available for adoption (my all-time high), which includes 3 for sure and possible 6 pregnant sows, at my rescue. Rescues are busting at the seems all over the country. I can no longer accept any. If a shelter calls me today, I have to say no and they will put down.

ShaggysGurl

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2002 5:17 pm

I have already read the Cavy Spirit thing on breeding. I read it a few days ago. And I never said I was going to breed. I said if I did, it would be a long and hard decision to make. Now everyone keeps telling me to get a rescue pig instead of from a pet store... Well two points to consider: There isn´t a Guinea Pig rescue in my state (and I don´t have a car, which is why I have so much money). And two, what´s going to happen to the guinea in the store? Somebody´s gotta take him eventually... I can get another female for Vanessa to play with (I wouldn´t trust a vet around here to nueter a cavy), but this little guy is adorable! He´s black and white, with a little mohawk, and a little white swiggle through one of his eyes... And it would be great to have three guineas... I´m already in love with them!

Also NOT SAYING THAT I AM BREEDING OR THAT I HAVE EVEN CONSIDERED IT WITH GUINEA PIGS: I AM a responsible breeder, and do make sure all of my MICE get wonderful homes (I even make people sign a contract) and I have taken mice back because the people didn´t want them. And I do keep all of my mice until they can find good homes. But also, one of the managers of the pet stores loves my mice, and she does buy them and sell them under "pet only" circumstances. But she only takes certain ones that meet her criteria. Also with my contract my mice are sold under a "non breeding" policy and the contract is actionable. And I only sell male mice to the pet store to prevent them breeding, plus they come with the contract also.

Oh, I went out yesterday and got some Timothy Hay, some Guinea Pig pellets (Hartz, they also had Kaytee, and I didn´t know which was better), and some fresh Romaine Hearts (are those good?) Does all of this sound okay? Also the tub is shallow. I opted for a shallow tub with more floor space over one of those tall ones... I figured that would be better for the time being. Where can I find some of that, uh, Cloroplast and something else? Can´t remember what it was... Also it may be hard to find it here, I live in Mississippi, the most rodent illerate state in the US... I have heard Guinea Pigs called Hamsters, Gerbils, and Rats.

A good story for Guinea Pig lovers: I was supposed to be "pig sitting" last year for my neighbor. Well, I hadn´t been home when my neighbors were going out of town, so they left Taz (the cavy) with my 27 year old sister (who lives one house down from me). Well, my two year old neice was there, and she is a true animal lover. She was trying to feed Taz a potato chip, and my sister came in and says "Laura! Don´t give that chip to that gerbil!" In which my very knowledgeable neice responds: "Mommy, it is not a germ, it is a puppy!"

Okay... thanks again!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2002 5:59 pm

I like Kaytee better than Hartz. I think Hartz has animal byproducts in it -- not a good idea. Kaytee also uses a stabilized vitamin C.

bats

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2002 7:15 pm

Hi again, Shaggy.

Sign shops usually carry Coroplast.
Runs anywhere from $18-30 for a 4x8 sheet.
See http://www.cavycages.com/cubes.htm