Question about a noise my piggie makes.

Koshka

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:16 pm

My one piggie keeps making this low coo´ing noise. It doesn´t sound like she´s in pain but she does it non-stop. It´s like if you were sad and not crying but whimpering. Is she okay or ..?

pinta

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:21 pm

When they are in discomfort they can make sad little noises. I have one who mutters and grumbles when she has gas.

Is her belly distended at all? Does she walk normally? (Arthritis is painful.)

Is she active? Eating well? Maintaining weight?

Koshka

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:28 pm

God how sad. She has mites and I´m waiting for the medicine to come in the mail so I can get rid of them. ( I ordered it offline ) poor thing!! Is there anything I can do to relieve her symptoms in the mean time? I took her to the vet, he did a skin scrape and found no mites and gave her an anti fungal topical medication but it´s not working. She has bald spots and scab near her eye .. so I´m really just assuming it´s mites. Can I help her symptoms in the mean time?

pinta

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:38 pm

Sorry, there isn´t much. Maybe an oatmeal bath? Ivermectin is the only way to effectively deal with mites and a bad infestation hurts like hell. One vet has said it´s like the pig having a bad sunburn.

Even with the Ivermectin, it will take about a week before she feels relief from the first treatment.

A pain reliver like Rimadyl or Meloxicam might help mask the pain, but you´ll have to see the vet for that. It might be worth biting the bullet and having the vet give her the first Ivermectin treatment.

When you get it in the mail, I´m pretty sure the extra treatments needed can be done by you at home.

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2002 9:16 pm

Just in case hse has developed a URI, here´s the thread on Tubbit´s strange sounds. There is also a link to an audio of her moanings. You can listen to it and see if it is the same at all. The vet said Tubbit sounded like a "URI pig." Good luck.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/threa ... d=2&page=1

pinta

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2002 9:32 pm

Good point. I assumed it was a vocal not a breathing noise.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:41 pm

I don´t agree with it being a URI noise. To me, it sounds like something stuck in her throat. Maybe I haven´t heard that noise associated with a URI but it really seems like a throat obstruction noise, not a chest congestion noise that a URI would make.

Koshka

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:47 pm

I don´t think it´s anything to do with her breathing I mean if I come in the room or open the cage she stops but it´s like shes whining when she´s laying down or nothing is going on. She stops for like a minute or so but will whine off and on mostly all night. My other cavie who is in the same cage comes over and grooms her and lays with her and thats the only time she stops. I take them out everyday for hours and give them lots of love so I don´t see how she could be lonely.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:50 pm

Regarding the noise in question (not the sound clip), I agree that your pig may be in pain. I surely hope you get the ivermectin soon -- and would also be tempted to see a vet immediately for the initial dose.
Last edited by Lynx on Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pigpal

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:54 pm

Poor pig. If it is mites-related it could be that attention and activity take her mind off it temporarily. Maybe when she has no distractions it really bothers her.

How does she react when you touch her back or pet her, is she jumpy or does she try to reach around and bite at the spot, or chew at the floor? Those are typical indications of mite problems.

Koshka

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2002 11:02 pm

She really doesn´t jump or seem irritated which is the weird part. I´ve found 2 bald spots on her back near her shoulder blades (a bald spot on each side) and I´ve touched them and it doesn´t seem to bother her. When I put them on the floor to play she runs around, jumping and acting happy .. it´s really strange. The sore near her eye is a scab type thing that looks almost flakey. I´ll try to get a picture of it later tonight so you can see exactly how it looks.

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:57 am

Lynx, she did wind up with some mucus in her nose. It seems like after it cleared, she started to sound normal. Knowing Tubbit, the noise could be talking or a throat thing. Vet said she was congested in her hose and throat. Vet said her chest was clear. Who knows? She has never made the sound before or since last Friday. I´m just glad she did so I had time to get her treated before it got really bad. She seems to be fine now, whatever it was!

Wouldn´t it be great if we were like Dr. Doolittle and we could actually talk to them?! Just think of what they would say... "More romaine, more hay, do we have any carrots, how about spinach?!" Maybe it´s better they don´t!
Last edited by KarasKavies on Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.