HELP! Looking for a good vet in central Ohio area!!

guinnypiggy

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:11 am

Hi, all

My guinea pig,Piggy, is pregnant, and she is almost 2 year-old. This happened by accident...
Please help me on finding a good vet in Centaral Ohio area... (but not OSU vet hospital)
If any of you live close to me, please tell me which vet you take your guinea pigs to.

I am still new to this town, I don´t know many people around... and I hope to have the best treatment possible for Piggy. possibly C-section surgery...

Even if you know someone who have guine pigs in cetral ohio, please introduce them to me!!

Thank you!!! :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2002 12:57 pm

You could also try some of the techniques in the Finding a Vet article on Guinea Lynx (see button top left).

Most importantly, find out who the supposed exotics vets refer their most difficult cases to. That´s how I found the vet who did the spay for my guinea pig.

guinnypiggy

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2002 1:38 pm

Thanks for your reply!
The vet I went last week claims that he is specialized in exotics, and even recommended in rabbit society web site.... but he didn´t know much about it. So I decided to post this.
I emailed ACBA (American Cavy Breeder Association), so hopelly I get answers soon.

I am just worried soooo much about Piggy. I am just hoping the best(she and her babies survive somehow).... But thank you!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2002 1:53 pm

Do call around. That´s how you find the good ones. If you´re in central Ohio, you must be near Columbus -- and that is a sizeable metropolitan area.

Personally, I think writing the ACBA is a waste of time. Their focus is not on guinea pig health care -- it costs money. If you are a breeder who believes you need to distance yourself from these animals, you don´t go out of your way to get expensive vet care. I sincerely doubt they have a list of truly competent vets. It is the pet owners who care enough about their animals to try to do anything they can to help them.

I hope things go alright for you.
Last edited by Lynx on Mon Jun 10, 2002 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pinta

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2002 3:22 pm

I assume this is her first pregnancy? Do find a good vet and don´t panic.

Dystocia (pregnancy/delivery complications) is far more likely in sows who have not had their first litter before the age of one year. Pregnancy is high risk enough for young sows but the percentage of likelihood of complications increases the older the sow gets.

Worst case scenario is symphysis where the ligaments in the pelvis tighten, not allowing passage of the baby and necessitating a caesarian. Survival rates of caesarians are very low.

For this reason you must line up a competent vet and access to emergency services.

However, some sows do make it thru and deliver live babies although it seems many older first time pregnant sows deliver stillborn babies. Not every older sow will die from complications, but complications are much more likely.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2002 3:27 pm

But having had a litter is no guarantee that subsequent ones will be trouble free either.

Things may go fine. Just be prepared.