Seizures

StephanyAnne

Post   » Wed Feb 06, 2002 3:18 pm

My gp Renny has been having seizures for about a month. She had 4 in one weekend, (approx 12 hours apart), then one a week later (after a week of hospitalization for a bacterial infection) and then a break of 3 weeks until last night when she had another one. The seizures don´t last very long, but they are very violent. Her head jerks back, and her eyes roll back in her head, she flops onto her side and her feet go a million miles an hour. She does not respond when spoken to or when I pick her up and hold her until it is over (approx 2-3minutes). Afterwards, she seems to shake it off and although she is scared and makes her scared warbely noises at me. She has seen the vet twice and he does not know what could be causing it. The thing I am most concerned with is that I beleive that I have been present for all of them, and I am afraid that something will happen when I am not home and I won´t be there to help her get through it. Does anyone have any ideas? (Please note, she lost over 1/2 of her body weight during the bacterial infection, and I have been supplementing her feeding by giving her slurry, pedialyte, and her regular food, as well as fresh stuff; although she has gained 100g in the past month, we are still working on gaining weight; I don´t know if that has anything to do with it. She seemed to be getting better, and she has her voice back and is more active now.) Thanks! Steph

imanut4u

Post   » Wed Feb 06, 2002 3:21 pm

No experience myself, but wondering if she´s ever been treated for mites? Someone who knows what they are talking about should be along soon.

Good luck.

pinta

Post   » Wed Feb 06, 2002 4:35 pm

stroke? seizure?

http://208.185.185.132/forums/thread.ph ... &styleid=1

info on seizures here.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 06, 2002 8:25 pm

Are you using any vitamin suppliments? Is your pig getting a good diet?

Multivitamin suppliments could cause problems. But I don´t really know what would cause the seizures.

Cara

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2002 12:15 pm

I´m not sure of the spelling there is a drug called phenobarbitol. It´s a drug that humans and animals use to control seizures. I know that once the animal is put on the drug it can´t be taken off of it. My dachshund is epileptic, we at one time thought we would need to use this drug but we found a diet that helps control the seizures. It would be worth talking to your vet about phenobarbitol.