Girl piggie has white discharge coming out vagina??

Karin1

Post   » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:16 pm

My girl pig Lilly has white discharge in clumps coming out her vagina. I happened just once. I thought maybe she is in heat or something. She is one year old.

I wrote on here before telling about her excessive shedding. It went away and came back again. I took her to the vet and she is on a topical Revolution 3 times every two weeks. I am so confused as to what is going on.

She had an ultarasound done to show no cysts. She itches every once in awhile and is shedding like crazy. Lilly has no bald spots or sores but I am worried about her. Are all these things linked together? Also she licks our hands like crazy, like a little doggie.

Should I go to the vet for the discharge thing or ride it out????

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:22 pm

They don't go into heat per se, and have no discharge on their cycles.

Describe the discharge. Is it cheesy, gritty, thick or thin? Liquid or semisolid? Does it have any odor to it?

If this were my pig, I'd have her to the vet. It's possible it isn't coming from her vagina at all; it's possibly coming from her urinary tract. However, it's also possible it is a pyometra and that needs immediate (no exaggeration, immediate) veterinary attention.

Karin1

Post   » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:35 pm

It doesnt have an odor to it. It was white in color and was a thick discharge she had this awhile ago but a clump of it didnt come out. What do you think this is?? She does go into heat..she hasnt been spayed and when her old girl cage mate was around they would try and mount eachother.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:35 pm

Does the discharge feel gritty or sandy?

Karin1

Post   » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:53 pm

No not at all. Not to be gross but it's like a human's vaginal discharge. I had a pig before who had a UTI and I dont think she has it. I make sure her calcium Phosporus ratio is ok when feeding her to make sure she doenst get bladder stones or anything of that sort.

Are you sure she cant have discharge when they are in season? She acts like she is. She is eating and drinking great. She had diarrhia 2 days ago but now her droppings seem fine. I was out of town and my mother fed her out of date pellets. But ever since I threw those out she hasnt had diarrhia.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:09 pm

Well, I suppose the safe thing to do is to start weighing her 1-2 times a day and keep a log. First sign of any distress at all, off to the vet.

What kind of pellets? I've never heard of out of date pellets making a pig sick, just that the vitamin C expires and degrades a bit.

whittibo

Post   » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:15 pm

I don't know if this helps or not, but here's a thread about our little Chloe when she had a discharge. We never did find out what it was. :s

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... =discharge

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:19 pm

It is probably her mucous plug dissolving although I haven't heard of it coming out clumpy. It has to do with her heat cycles- in tact females do go into heat. Watch it to make sure it is not bloody, gritty, etc or increases in volume.

---
edit- I just read whittibo's thread. Is your pig around males by chance?

Karin1

Post   » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:14 pm

No, although I had a male pig about a year ago. He wasnt neutered and rubbed his scent around. He passed away last year around this time. Maybe she can still smell him?

I am going to take her to the vet, because of her excessive shedding.

She has one dose left of Revolution to take for her "bugs", should I wait and then take her in??

She weighs 2lbs6oz. The treatment is the Revolution three doses, one every 2 weeks does that sound right? The vet broke the doses up because initially it's for dogs and cats. I pull her fur back and put it on towards the middle of her body. Should I do it behind her ears or not. Sorry this is off the subject but I am out of ideas! : ) And she looks very uncomfortable when I push her fur back, like her skin hurts. But there are no red spots or anything?.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:08 pm

The revolution treatment does sound right but sometimes really stubborn mite treatments require longer. You can ask your vet for more revolution or try ivermectin every 7 days for a few more weeks.

It does make them uncomfortable when you brush their fur the wrong way. The same goes for most animals including if you try and brush my hair the wrong way.

Kittenkisses

Post   » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:50 am

Did you ever find out what was wrong? My guinea started to do the same thing and I'm not sure what's wrong. Would love to know if you found out what was wrong?