Eating vaseline?

Cara

Post   » Sat Mar 09, 2002 6:46 pm

My wonder pig, Happy, ate about a foot and a half of string yesterday. I had tied his cat ball to the roof of his cage so he would bat at it and move around some more. Well, he apparently was irked that he couldn´t actually get to the ball and yanked on it hard enough that he pulled it down, and then proceeded to eat the string. He did this in the span of an hour while I was running errands. My regualr vet isn´t in this weekend but the vet I talked to suggested giving him a bit of vaseline to eat each day to help it pass more smoothly. I didn´t actually talk to the vet, she left a message on my machine when I was out. Happy is eating and pooping normally, he´s active, doesn´t feel bloatish and I´m sure he wishes I´d quite checking. I looked on the vaseline tub and it says for external use only. Any thoughts on this?

pinta

Post   » Sat Mar 09, 2002 7:42 pm

I would just monitor. Considering they are suited to eating fibrous food anyway, chances are he´ll have no problem digesting string. I assume it isn´t plastic and is made of natural materials.

Mineral oil can be used rather than vaseline. But I doubt you´ll need it. Can´t remember the dose offhand - I think it´s 1cc, but I´m not sure. It acts as a laxative(I believe) so I wouldn´t give him any unless he needs it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 09, 2002 11:11 pm

Vaseline is a petroleum product. I sure wouldn´t eat it. My guess is what you are afraid of is that it is one long undigestible strand. I think Pinta´s right it will come out alright.