Baytril for URI

Jill

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2002 7:49 am

So sorry Bethann, we lost a Zelda pig too. It is difficult.

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2002 7:53 am

How sad. :-(( It also sounds like it might not have been just a simple URI. She went fast and the Baytril did nothing. My vet will use dexamethasone (steroid) if the lungs are really congested to help open them, along with a bronchodilator like albuterol or theophylline. And Lasix. Sometimes their lungs are just thick with gunk that they need much more than just an antibiotic. I also have an oxygen setup at home to help in emergencies, but I do have a rescue and have a lot of emergencies and would go broke going to the ER every time.

The only real way to find out what happened is to have a necropsy done.

I am also so sorry about your family losing your dog. People like us realize how much these pets mean to us.. they add so much love and joy to our lives. Unfortunately, the more we love, the higher the price we pay when we lose them. :-(

Judi L.

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2002 8:12 am

badonahue-
I´m so sorry. I really am. It´s hard to lose a pet, especially when your kids are really attached to it. I agree with Pinta. In honor of all the nice memories Zelda let you have, I think it would be a great idea to adopt one or two (even better!) homeless pigs. Nicole lives in Mass and has a rescue. I believe she has a whole lot of pigs to choose from.
I know your little pig can,t be replaced, but at least, it will give the kids something nice to look forward to.
You tried everything you could and the timing was working against you. Don´t blame yourself, ok?

posey-
Check your facts, girl. you said you´re using a 35cc syringe. That´s almost as big as the pig itself. You probably mean 3.5cc.

badonahue

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2002 8:41 am

Thanks you all so much. It helps when people understand how you feel.
My husband thinks I´m nuts but I would like another guinea pig (probably 2).
I´m not familiar with Nicole. Where is her shelter. I know there is a rescue in Haverhill, MA called Wheekers World. I will use a rescue next time.
Thanks,
Bethann

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2002 8:48 am

Yes, Wheekers World is Nicole, and I think (not sure, maybe not the right person I´m thinking about) she has other people fostering pigs for her. Do you have her email?

I strongly suggest you get two pigs of the same sex. They need company and you´ll have double the fun watching them interact.

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2002 8:50 am

Becky

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2002 10:59 am

I´m so sorry Zelda didn´t make it. When my third grade class and I lost Stormy to pnemonia following "routine" surgery, we were devasted. When the kids started putting our guinea pig puppet in the play area and making wheeking noises, I knew it was time for new little ones to love. Two new little faces don´t take the hurt away, but it certainly helps.

Loving any creature is always a risk. It´s worth it, though.

Best to you.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2002 11:14 am

I´m so sorry you lost Zelda. Sometimes all you do isn´t quite enough. I know it must be doubly hard since you so recently lost your dog, too.

If your heart is up to it, I do reccomend a new pig. I got a new companion "for Steve" because I wasn´t quite ready to admit I wanted one after I lost Max. But I wouldn´t trade my nutty Jules for anything. He´s no Max, but he brings his own brand of joy.

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2002 11:41 am

>>I got a new companion "for Steve" because I wasn´t quite ready to admit I wanted one after I lost Max. But I wouldn´t trade my nutty Jules for anything. He´s no Max, but he brings his own brand of joy. >>

I like the way you said that... ´he brings his own brand of joy´. Indeed, these words are the truth!

badonahue

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2002 11:41 am

I´ve sent an email to Nicole who operates Wheekers World, a rescue in Haverhill, MA. She is only one town away from me. I think I would prefer two pigs this time. We were just about to get a friend for Zelda when she got ill. I miss her little nose poking through her enclosure begging for love.
When we first gor her se kept her in my sons room. After a while we realized she would be better of living with the whole family. We had her cage in our living room. She was a new piggie once we moved her. I would never have a piggies cage in my sons room again. Not because he is not good with them but because the piggies get to lonely.

mumsyof2

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2002 12:09 pm

I just wanted to say how sorry I am that you lost your Zelda. Be comforted by knowing that you gave her such a loving and caring home. You really did all you could. Take care- I hope you do get another piggy or two.

Lisa

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Apr 04, 2002 8:10 pm

So any news?