ongoing URI, A/B's not working??

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:26 pm

If it mixes well and your guinea pig is okay with the suspension, mixing with 10cc should work fine.

I think one of the considerations is to have a suspension that has enough volume that it is easy to measure. If there is a very small amount of syrup, the dose would be tiny and not as accurate.

grace505

Post   » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:50 pm

Lynx, that makes sense, with 20 cc's, the dose is .96 cc's, so i figured if i could half that, it would be easier to get him to take it all, bitter or not.

Lana

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:49 am

No, mix 20.

As I wrote in the post about it, cipro tastes incredibly awful. At 10cc, you have an incredible fight on your hands to get the pig to drink this crap. There is no benefit to torturing your pig.

With the extra syrup, it helps. They don't particularly like it, but it is tolerable. The aftertaste is pretty bad, so have a carrot or something on hand so they can eat that after to help wash the taste out of their mouth.

This is why I add a couple of CCs of the FlavorX sweetener. It helps so much, and helps make it taste okay. But you have syrup, so that's what you're dealing with.

Total mixture is 20cc. Administer it twice a day. Keep the mixture in the fridge, and shake well before drawing a dose.

grace505

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:08 am

Thanks Lana, i figured there was a method to the madness but wanted to check.

grace505

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:05 pm

Lana, man, you weren't kidding about the Cipro being bitter, were you!! Yuck! When you were talking about peanut butter flavoring, were you talking about FlavorX flavoring, or did you mix with actual peanut butter? Besides the mushroom powder, were there any other things that you mixed with the individual doses to hide the taste that worked well? Thanks!

Lana

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:38 pm

Did you buy dark maple syrup? The real kind, not artificial pancake syrup? Real maple syrup comes in different grades - light, medium etc. Medium is the 'lightest' you should buy. Darker it is, the more flavour it has.

I used FlavorX peanut butter flavour. In that individual dose, you may have to add another .5cc maple syrup. But that is a lot of sugar for a pig...

There must be a pharmacy in town who will take pity on you and sell you some cherry flavouring etc. Kids oral meds are flavoured by pharmacists every day...

grace505

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:56 pm

I got pure maple syrup, US grade A dark amber. On Friday i was inspired to call Walgreens again, even though i couldn't beg, borrow or steal the FlavorX before, and the pharmacist gave me 2 cc's for free!! So it's all mixed properly like the recipe you gave, it's just still very bitter. I agree that adding more sugar is probably not the best idea, but could work in a pinch. I tried mixing it with peanut butter this morning, it helped but the pigs were still not happy at all. Just thought you might have tried some other things to mix in, if not, it's okay, i'm just going to have to experiment a little. I did have some bell pepper on hand for them afterwards like you said, i'm sure that helped clear the taste! Thanks!

violagirl3

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:04 pm

grace- I used to mix Eddie's meds with odwalla when I couldn't get Flavor-x. I would usually get either Strawberry C Monster or Blueberry B Monster or Carrot Juice because they are 100% fruit/veggie. If the maple syrup doesn't work, you could try that.

grace505

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:09 pm

viola, thanks for the tip, i like the 100% fruit/veggie thing, too! The good thing is, like Lana said, i can mix the individual doses with stuff and see how they like it without wasting a lot or messing with the mixture. I'm sure i'm going to have to experiment with different things, it's just good to hear what has worked for others already! Thanks!

grace505

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:12 pm

I could be wrong, but i think i need to mix it with the syrup first of all so i get the suspension of the medication that's needed, right? And then from there i can mix stuff in the individual doses, does that sound correct?

Lana

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:54 pm

Yes, make up the suspension as previously directed. Then when you have the individual dose, then you can add to it. It may mean giving your pig 2cc of fluid at the end.

With the flavorX, use .01cc (1/10 cc) per dose. Perhaps that, with the juice or whatever, will help.

grace505

Post   » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:14 pm

So the Odwalla juice worked mixed with the individual doses, it came out to like two or three cc's in the end, but they were MUCH happier.

Of course i don't feel like the meds are working at all with Turbo, i've seen minimal, if any, improvement and in fact, i feel like he's declined if anything. He is seeming more lethargic, eating less hay, although he's keeping up his weight just fine, and the congested-sounding and labored breathing made a reappearance and has not subsided, plus he's getting eye gunk, which he never even got before!!

I'm going to get the culture done and switch him back to Baytril in the meantime as i wait for the results. The vet said it takes three to four weeks for the cultures to come back, does that sound right??? My question is, does anyone have an opinion on how switching to the Cipro for the past seven and a half days will affect the culture? Should i switch Turbo back to the Baytril for an amount of time before getting the culture done, or just get the culture and hope the results come out right? I can't afford the culture once, let alone paying for it twice, i need to do what i have to to make sure the results that come back are accurate. I wouldn't mind switching him back to the Baytril for two, three, four weeks or whatever before getting the culture as long as i knew that the results would be accurate.

Last question, does anyone know if the Baytril is okay to compound like the Cipro? Because of course, the bigger dose tablets are cheaper than the 22.7, so i'd like to see if i can just mix them like the Cipro and spend less money. My credit card is killing me!

I have a call in to the vet but if he doesn't call me back today, i'm going to start Turbo back on the Baytril i have left over from a few weeks ago, he has four doses left and i'd like to get him back to feeling better ASAP!