Guinea pig ding-a-ling...cauliflower willy? help?

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:50 pm

Thank you, Sef! The box says 0.5mg/ml...and we give him .25 every 12 hours. One at 6 am, one at 6 PM. I'm not sure with dosing, so I'm not sure how much I could give him. Maybe I could even give him more metacam....? He is also 921 grams.

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:51 pm

Thank you, lynx! Will do, ma'am.

meganmarie

Post   » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:17 pm

Can anyone give me advice about tramadol? I'm researching and finding that it may have issues with gut motility; and that scares me. But he's also in a lot of pain and not moving much...kind of between a rock and a hard place. I think I will be going with tramadol, but is there anything I can do preemptively to help his gut and keep him regular?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:49 pm

Get the vet to give you some motility drugs.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:42 pm

Talishan has a couple excellent pages on pain management. I think they are linked to from this page:
www.guinealynx.info/pain.html

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:37 pm

There is a range with Metacam, which is roughly .1-.3 mg/kg q24. At the upper end of the dosage scale, based on his weight and the strength of the Metacam that you have (.5mg/ml), the calculation would be:

.3mg (dose) x .9 kg (weight) = 0.27, divided by .5 mg/ml = a dose of .54cc's. You are essentially giving him that, now, divided into 2 doses 12 hours apart. You could see if a single, 24hr dose at .5cc's knocks the pain better.

Oxbow Joint Support might also be worth a shot. I frankly haven't had much luck with any of the Oxbow supplements, but it can't hurt and there's a small chance that it could actually help a little.

The other product I was trying to think of is Myristol. I did some digging into it a while back for one of my own guys, and found that some rabbit societies recommend it for buns with arthritis. I didn't end up pursuing it further, and don't know of anyone else who has tried it with their guinea pig. It is an alfalfa-based pellet, unfortunately, which might be problematic since he's already prone to sludge. I had contacted the company to ask if they might consider a timothy-based product, but never heard back. You might ask your vet about it. Again, I can't vouch for its safety or effectiveness, but have seen it mentioned on several rabbit sites such as this one:
http://www.disabledrabbits.com/arthritis.html

meganmarie

Post   » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:53 am

So, awful turn of events. As he got older, he developed sludge, like I mentioned. He started really being in pain, and straining to urinate. I held him to watch his urine output and what it looked like; if he was passing sludge. He wasn't passing anything at all. After 2 1/2 hours, he still hadn't passed any urine. We took him to emergency vet...he had a stone blocking his urethra. It was too big to pass. We said goodbye to him at around 1:30 am. I am absolutely devastated. He is the 3rd to go in my origional herd of 4. He was my baby boy. He was sweet, soft wheeking, cuddly, kissy-boy. I miss him immensely already. Our house feels like it's missing a whole person.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:57 am

I'm so sorry.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:09 pm

Oh no, I'm so sorry. When you mentioned x-rays and the diagnosis of arthritis, I guess I assumed stones had been ruled out. They can form quickly, though, so it might not have been caught at the time.

We lost a guinea pig to a blocked urethra a few years ago. It's devastating. Sending you my deepest sympathy.

meganmarie

Post   » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:34 pm

I'm not sure what happened...but now I'm upset thinking maybe the vet missed it??? Now im really upset. I didn't even think about that.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:38 pm

It's doubtful. If a stone had been in the bladder at the time of the xrays, it almost certainly would have shown up. As I said, they can form very quickly.

Again, I'm just so sorry.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:10 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. You have all our sympathy.

meganmarie

Post   » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:28 pm

Okay,...I'd like to say that makes me feel better; but it is what it is, unfortunately...thank you guys for your condolences. He meant so much to us. It's so strange to not have an ornery boar chasing our girls around.

73 posts