Guinea pig ding-a-ling...cauliflower willy? help?

tasha0123

Post   » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:21 am

We had a piggy in rescue that had a penis that looked very similar to that! I don't think the penis is actually odd looking. If you have ever seen a piggy's penis "open up" at the end, this is what it looks like. You can usually see the "prongs" on the end as well. I just did a million boar cleanings at our rescue event on Sunday...and plenty of their penises looked that way.

Your piggy might have a prolapsed penis. This can be caused by different things, but vitamin c deficiency is one cause. Scurvy can cause the loss of muscle tone, which can cause the penis to hang out. Try to get a lot of vit c into him! This was the case with a piggy named Ace that we had a while back. His prolapse resolved completely after a couple of months of good food & extra vit c.

In the meantime, I would house him on fleece bedding. That will protect his penis from getting irritated. Clean it as you need to, but try not to poke at it more than necessary.

Best wishes for your sweet piggy!

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:25 am

Thanks, Tasha0123. I have been giving him .5 of Liquid vitamin C, because i didn't know how much he was getting before, and his coat was a little lack-luster. His coat is improving now, so maybe the vitamin C will work for that, too. I do bed him on fleece, but i get worried about cleaning his penis and hurting him. He wiggles(of course) and objects when i clean it(wouldn't you? lol). I get worried that im hurting him...But i try to gently clean it with warm(not hot) water and a few q-tips. Also he seems to get a bit of wee on him, i think, due to how his penis is situated...So i am worried about that.

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:30 am

and my cage is a 2X10, so he has plenty of room and its all fleece. But i do have a 'kitchen' area that has bedding in it and hay, which he loves to dive into. Actually yesterday i pulled hay out of the side of his ding-a-ling...

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:38 am

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:41 am

ImageImage

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:41 am

oops...talk about the smallest pictures ever. :( sorry!

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:25 am

So Winter is starting to have problems. The only is, i think the problem is the direction his penis lays. As it is outside of him, he has started just peeing down the right side of him. It's the same spot everytime, and it is under him. His fur was getting soaked in pee because of how his ding-a-ling lays, and i'm worried. I give him about 1 butt bath a week. But he is a white pig, and his fur on the right side of privates is always stained yellow now. I'm worried about a rash developing, or it just becoming sore from being soiled constantly.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:32 am

What you can do is trim the hair really really close (shave?) and perhaps after the bath, proactively treat for urine scald by applying a small amount of Desitin or other ointment sparingly to protect the skin.

www.guinealynx.info/_scald.html

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:48 pm

I'm just worried about trimming him. I know i can do it, but isn't his fur almost like another 'protective' barrier? Its right on the bottom of him and i'm worried that would be worse to take that hair away....i don't know. I'm not trying to sound like i'm being rude, i just want to make sure i'm making a good decision. Why would you take away that hair?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:18 pm

You would take away that hair so it does not stay wet and harbor bacteria which could contribute to developing a UTI. It may be hard to do it safely (you don't want to cut any skin, of course). If it smells, it is already promoting the growth of bacteria.

www.guinealynx.info/.html

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:34 pm

Ohhhh okay. I get it. I don't know why i didn't think of that. The pee is being held against him by his fur, and by taking that away it will make him feel better and there's less chance for infection. Got it. *sigh* Sorry, haha, i guess that's why you guys are here.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:42 pm

Moisture does promote the grown of bacteria. With less hair, you will keep the area drier.