Luxi's medical thread

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:29 pm

I hate to post in this thread again, but I woke up this morning and Luxi was making some suspicious sounding noises. I really hope she is not a heart pig. I know there is medication, I have used it before, but I still really hope that is not the case.

I have a bad gut feeling it may be though. This is how others I have had have sounded.

I cannot believe my sweet Luxi is already 4 years old either. It seems like just a year or so ago we adopted her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:38 pm

Noises aren't definitive. I'd weigh more frequently right now in case you want another method of monitoring.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:27 pm

Thank you Lynx.

Nothing could be found wrong with her heart or lungs. She did however have some tiny hay parts or hay dust up her nose, did a big sneeze and hasn't made the noise since. Today was full cage changeout day. The hay isn't terribly dusty, but there are some really tiny hay pieces sometimes and once in a great while those can even make me sneeze once.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:56 am

This has happened at our house more times than I care to count. ;-)

Classic hooting noted; blind panic, running around making plans for vet trip, pig sneezes => stand down red alert.

Time does fly, doesn't it?

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:20 pm

I feel bad for freaking out but the last couple of times I heard that noise it was not good. I will still be keeping a close eye on her even though nothing was found since she is going to be a senior in about a year.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:56 am

Freaking out is vastly preferable to a sick (or worse) pig. Never feel badly for that.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:06 am

As of today, Luxi is five and a half years old. I had to hand, well force feed her just now, she did not want lettuce and her eyes whike bright have some mucus under them. She was really fighting the food and water and scared. She will be seeing the vet soon. Where did the time go, it seems like just a year ago she was a little one (her actual age at that point was unknown with her being dumped in the woods and found by a caring person, but she was tiny).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:13 am

You have our best wishes.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:05 pm

I had Luxi fully examined less than 4 months ago and there were no symptoms of any hesrt disease or enlarged heart. She was in the last stages of congestive heart failure this morning. She was actively passing. She went quickly in my arms at the vet. I am so heaetbroken right now. I did what I could, but age and genetics got the best of her. I miss my little Luxi so much already, her sweet little kisses and happy noises, her happy diving into hay and bursting out of it, and her laps around the cage she did up until last night.

I am having her privately cremated by a place that while expensive, has another facility for human family members.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:06 pm

I am so sorry she is gone. You have all our sympathy, Cinnabuns Legacy. I know how much she meant to you and how much you will miss her.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:00 am

I'm so sorry. She's lucky she was adopted by you & had such a good life.