PLEASE tell me it can´t be mites...again!

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Sat Apr 20, 2002 2:39 am

OK... I just treated all of my girls with 4 rounds of Ivermectin spaced 7 to 10 days apart. The last dose was given on March 26. Not even a month ago.

Tubbit has been shedding a lot. My memory is that it has been for at least a few weeks. Her hair does not come out in clumps, it just sheds. Also she has white dandruff-like flakes on her coat. Tonight I ruffled all through her fur looking for bald patches. I didn´t find any. Of course she hated it, but didn´t seem as spastic as my other pigs when I knew they had mites. Could she just have dandruff?

Also, when I took them for their check ups (about 2 weeks ago) Lilly had kind of the same thing only her little hairs came out 2 to 3 at a time with a little piece of dandruff attached. The vet looked at seveal samples under the microscope and didn´t see any evidence of mites. He felt that she just had "dandruffy" skin (my words not his!) and suggested I shampoo her in Hexadene shampoo. It did seem to help.

So... is it mites? Is it dandruff? Do Lilly and Tubbit have the same thing? Do any of you have pigs with dandruff? Should I get the Ivermectin out... AGAIN!!??

Kara and my "flaky" girls!

pinta

Post   » Sat Apr 20, 2002 2:53 am

How often are you bathing them? Bathing them can be very drying to the skin. A dry environment can contribute to dry skin. Even diet can make a difference. If she isn´t scratching and isn´t getting bald patches I wouldn´t be too concerned. Pigs do shed and animals seem to shed more in Spring.

By Vicki of JPGPR (reprinted with her permission)

Many years ago I used to attend big fancy grooming seminars with
a friend who is a professional groomer. I remember one speaker telling
us the
PH in human shampoos, even baby shampoo, is too harsh for animal
coats. She claimed the harsh shampoo would "explode" animal hair - which
was an overly dramatic way of saying it would damage the hair by
drying it out. I generally use a good name-brand dog and/or cat cleansing
shampoo for routine cavy bathing. A couple human products I will
occasionally use are Selsun Blue Moisturizing Treatment Shampoo and Nexxus
Humectress. Both are good for treating dry flakey coats and
skin. Once the condition is corrected, I then use a dog/cat shampoo for
further routine
bathing.
Are you certain your cavy has just dry skin, no lice or
mites? Lice can be seen as tiny moving grayish grub-shaped things
attached to the
base of the hair shafts. Mites can´t be seen, but cause intense
itching, scaley skin, bald spots, and even sores from the cavy
scratching.

Vicki - Jack Pine Guinea Pig Rescue, MN

KarasKavies

Post   » Sat Apr 20, 2002 3:18 am

I have had the girls for over a year and only bathed them twice! They don´t like it and neither do I! They all scratch with their hind feet several times a day. I was wondering if that is normal? How often are pigs allowed to scatch before we get concerned? Thank you for the info from Vicky. I really DON´T think it is mites, but it could be. No evidence of lice. The Hexadene is an antimicrobial, antiseptic , medicated shampoo for dogs and cats. It says it is a gentle shampoo and can be used on kittens and puppies too. It also has a fancy ingredient that allows the benefits of the shampoo to be long acting. You probably know all of this!! The Selsun Blue is a gentle shampoo too. I have used that myself! I forgot about it being spring. That could be doing it too. These pigs... I tell you... they are too much!

Kara

pinta

Post   » Sat Apr 20, 2002 3:25 am

If you think it´s fungal, you could try the Nizarol(sp?).

I think you notice exessive scratching. The kind that they get so involved they fall over. A certain amount of casual scratching is normal. Prolonged "concentrating" scratching isn´t. My unscientific mite test is seeing if they chew the ground and act crazy if I touch or scrabble the middle of their backs.

KarasKavies

Post   » Sat Apr 20, 2002 3:58 am

I know exactly what your test shows!! My Penny and Lilly had the crazies when I touched their sides. Lilly and Tubbit now do not. No pig likes their fur "back combed!" but they do not go bonkers. I love the term "casual scratching!" That´s my girls... casual scratchers! I don´t think it is fungal. I´ll wash them and keep an eye on them too!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Apr 20, 2002 8:31 am

Nizoral, Nizoral, and more Nizoral.

Yeah, try it. It might work.

KarasKavies

Post   » Sat Apr 20, 2002 1:33 pm

I will get some today! The girls will be so excited. LOL I am assuming the Nizoral works better than the Hexadene. Is Hexadene more of a general shampoo? I´ll do the Nizoral today and let you know how it goes. Thank you for your help.

Kara

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Apr 20, 2002 2:47 pm

Yes, if it is a yeast infection or fungal infection, I think it will work better.

KarasKavies

Post   » Sun Apr 21, 2002 4:50 pm

OK... 3 clean but unhappy piggers! A few questions. How often do I need to repeat the Nizoral shampoos? Do you leave it on awhile before washing it off? It didn´t say to, but I did leave it on for a few minutes. How long until I may see a difference? Do I need to bathe the entire animal or just the effected area? Do piggies often have skin conditions? Seems like they are vulnerable to them.

I sure hope this does the trick!

Kara and 3 offended pigs!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Apr 21, 2002 5:02 pm

I don´t really know what the best answers to these questions are. All I can say is I tried to let it sit for a while too, and I did my best to shampoo most of the pig (but I probably missed much of the head). I found it very difficult to get them really wet. Nina got the most treatment. I would repeat in a week or so and see if it helps at all. I felt I got some results with a single treatment and think I gave two treatments at two very different times. If you read the Nizoral directions, they imply it is with repeated use it will work on fungus and yeast infections. Since the shampoo stays on them and they don´t have many showers like humans do (i.e. constantly washing it out), I kinda think you can see how just a couple treatments would work.

I don´t think I had a serious infection, though. If you see results, you might do weekly treatments for a month. This is all just guessing though.

KarasKavies

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:43 am

I checked Tubbit´s skin today and it looks great. No flakes, no scabs, no sign of anything but pink skin. BUT... she is still shedding like crazy. Her coat is starting to thin out and look more "spiky." You know how it looks when it is not lying flat? She has not lost a gram in over a month, she is eating great and looks great. Just a lot of shedding. Also, the shedding is all over. Not just from one area. Could she just be shedding? Should I take her to the vet? I´m not sure he could tell me any more than you guys have!

Kara

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:13 am

Sometimes several things are working at one time. How old is she? Snowflake experienced a great deal of general thinning of the hair all over her body and then eventually, patches of hairloss on the sides of her stomache. Since her surgery (spay), it has grown in thicker and more luxuriant than I ever remember it. She had ovarian cysts.

The hairloss could just be residual from a fungal/yeast infection. Personally I would see if things don´t kind of get better since you´re giving Nizoral shampoos now (maybe another in a week?).

KarasKavies

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:15 pm

Sounds good. She is just a year old. I always have an eye on her because she is Taffy´s sister. Taffy is the one I lost last Fall. I just keep an eye out for her in case it was something genetic. She appears as healthy as a horse except for the hair loss.

Did Snowflake´s coat becaome kind of "spiky?" It´s hard to expalin. I´ll shampoo her again this weekend and give it a week after that. If it doesn´t slow down by then, she will be bald!

Kara

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:18 pm

It just got overall thin. I didn´t really realize it was thin (but noticed the bald patches) until all her hair grew back with a vengeance after the surgery. I don´t think it looked unusual and hers was not dandruffy.

14 posts • Page 1 of 1