Jan's Toothy Smile medical thread

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:02 am

There is a saying, "Trust but verify." As pet owners (and even when it comes to our own meds), it behooves us to double-check meds and doses because doctors don't always get it right.

Benazepril has a wide range of effectiveness for rodents at 0.05mg/kg to .25mg/kg. You can calculate the dose using Lynx's dose calculator here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html
You would need to know your pig's weight, the dose that your vet wants to use within that range, and the strength/concentrate of the drug you were given.

[ETA: Please be reminded of Lynx's rules of the forum on spelling and punctuation. Excessive exclamation points makes posts hard to read]

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:16 am

[ETA: Please be reminded of Lynx's rules of the forum on spelling and punctuation. Excessive exclamation points makes posts hard to read]

I was angry at the time of posting and apologise for them! But what about people in the USA who use a Z instead of a S like in realise or the missing letter U like in flavour. This makes it hard for me to read! I don't complain.

As to working out correct dose for ones pigs not every one was/is good at maths! Now a person spends years training to be a vet, they use Internet and calculator to work out dosage. Well forgive me if I am dumb enough to trust them to be able to use these tools! And besides this I had asked 2 other vets whether the dose was right and they both said it was!

I do NOT trust them in treating guinea pigs but in medication and dose rate 7 out of 10 vets I trust! Same as I trust my doctor of 40 years. Forgive me for being born in a time where trust and respect were important(60 years ago!)

I come on here for help and advice and try to help others where I can. I have never criticised anyone! I have always tried to help and be kind and calming when I reply to a post.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:28 pm

I'm sorry if you interpreted my comment as some sort of personal attack, but my point was simply that mistakes can and do happen -- particularly with less savvy vets who may not have the most up-to-date or accurate dosing information for exotics. This is precisely why Lynx lists drug information and has that dose calculator on the site. Even the most knowledgeable vet or doctor can get it wrong once in a while. Again, trust but verify.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:10 pm

Also keep in mind that this site is not infallible. Drug dosage can change over time (new information). Some of the discussions I have had online recently have pointed out that my info is not completely up to date (Guinea Lynx has been online for 20 years).

Most importantly, how has your guinea pig responded to that dose? If you are not seeing problems and perhaps even seeing improvements, it may be appropriate for your guinea pig.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:32 pm

The higher dose was having no ill affect and she was actually gaining weight. Now on the lower dose she has lost or maintained her weight. Going to vet tomorrow to have chest listened too so will know either way. Thanks Sef+Lynx.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:59 am

Okay, I am touching wood here, Joy is doing well on the doxy-tummy tolerating it. She is gaining weight and eating 95% of her green food. We hope this will continue. Keep you posted.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:47 am

Thank you for the update. I hope the improvements continue!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:24 pm

Joy on heart meds now for 4 weeks plus on Doxy(fluid every where) there has been no change in her breathing. So she will be going back to the vet tomorrow. Any suggest again much appreciated. Keep you posted!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:13 pm

Joy's heart is a worry! It is beating fast and irregular. There is a murmur as well. Vet is looking for other heart meds or upping dose of current ones.

Joy is eating, being hand fed and for now maintaining weight. She turns 7 next month. Thanks for the replies.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:21 am

It has been around 6 weeks since joy saw the vet. At last visit she said she would do some research and get back to me as the heart medication or dose she is on didn't appear to be doing anything as Joy's heart still irregularly beating, and fluid you could hear.

But have not heard from vet but wasn't concerned as joy was doing well! Now not sure if it is this heat wave(all girls inside with air conditioner going), or whether it is a medical problem. Joy's rapid breathing has returned, and when she exhales it's kind of like a jerk/thud.

She also doesn't like her tummy touched so have put her onto Meloxicam incase she is in pain. Her appetite has dropped from 90% down to 30%. She is being hand fed and has been for last 3 years. Joy did turn 7 on Christmas Eve.

On boxing day we moved Jay from Joy and Jay's divided pen and swapped Jay for Jill and put Jay in with Jersey. Could this have upset Joy? Both pens are side by side so Joy can still smell Jay?

I have made an vet appointment for this week just to make sure things haven't gotten worse. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know none of you are vets or medical back grounds. Joy is our first heart pig and this is all new to us! Thanking any replies in advance.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:19 am

I think for some guinea pigs, changes may be stressful. What is the temperature and humidity in their room?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:43 am

With air conditioner on it feels like 20C in room. Doesn't feel stuffy or humid. If it was I would know as I am easily affected by the heat. Have no way of knowing as have no gauge.

When I switched Jay(girl) for Jill Joy kept all her bedding. Only pen mate changed with barrier between them. I guess I could put them back if it would help Joy. What do you think?