Jill, Jaffa and Jupiter

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:01 am

Dental work can be painful, and the Metacam should help.

You won't see weight gain in just a day. You already know this, but be sure to weigh at the same time every day, preferably in the a.m. before feeding, in order to get the most accurate picture of what her weight is doing.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:57 am

Thank-you Sef. Jaffa is still not eating. We are syringe feeding her every 3 hours but she has lost 78grams in 24 hours. Soon she will below 700grams(now 707grams). Back in August she was over 1,200grams.

She is on Flagyl, which I have been told is no antibiotic, should I switch her to Bactrim or Doxy? Or leave as is? Thought she might be lonely so have put her back in with her sister Jill.

She is peeing and pooping and as per usual after all dental trims she is trying to eat but just can't. I have made an appointment at the vet Friday if she is no better will take her in.

Any advise much appreciated. When Jessie got her teeth done she just bounced back and went straight back to eating and only lost 10-30 grams then would gain it again! I am not use to this so am begging for help!

She is on Flagyl twice a day, Protexin twice a day and Meloxicam twice a day. I just have a bad feeling about this one and kick myself for not noticing sooner before all that weight lost. Thanking anyone in advance!

We weigh around 10.00am and again at 10.00pm to see what has happened during the day/24 hour period. Will keep you posted.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:26 am

Look at how she moves her saw and see if it opens and closes normally and if she can chew. A jaw can be accidentally over extended during the process of trimming teeth (their mouths are small). Pinta had at least one guinea pig with a dislocated jaw that an animal physiotherapist corrected for her (manipulated, rocking it knowledgeably back into place).

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:47 am

Thanks Lynx. Jaw appears okay. She is just not interested in food. Will ring vet up when opened.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:22 pm

No change in Jaffa, still not eating or interested in eating so back to the vet. Vet will take more X-rays of abdomen, looking at wind and maybe twisted gut.

She posted on VIN and got reply saying Jaffa serious condition may have blockage, try Zantac and Metomide. If no better try surgery. Weight Monday 17th 780grams today Thursday weight 690grams.

Been on pain med for 3 days and still just sits in corner and doesn't move. VIN also thought might be bloat and said Jaffa would not be easy to treat.

Will keep you posted any suggestions much appreciated!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:33 pm

I am sorry to hear she is losing more weight. It does sound like Jaffa will not be easy to treat :-(

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:52 am

Okay, vet took X-rays again all looked good. Less wind too. Teeth also looked good. So vet watched Jaffa eat and noticed she wanted to eat but tongue couldn't push food to the back for her.

Vet is sending me pictures of X-rays and tongue. Her tongue looks like she has two tongues. The back of tongue looks stuck to bottom of mouth and doesn't move. Has anyone come across or know what can be done?

Currently feeding her with thin tube attached to 3ml syringe and putting it at back of mouth being careful she doesn't choke on it. Is there anyone willing too add pictures when/if I get them?

Thanks Lynx. Keep you posted!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:02 am

If you have good clear pictures, I can add them.

The tongue issue sounds unusual. I do not recall anything similar. But have seen deformed tongues from overgrown molars that look very weird. The weirdness is most noticeable after a proper molar trim.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:01 am

I'd be interested to see the photo. Any sort of growth/tumor would have been fairly obvious when the dental work was being done. I almost have to think this indeed somehow related to the tongue having been entrapped for what could have been quite some time. I would have no idea how something like that can be resolved, though.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:40 pm

JAFFA'S X-RAYS.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:58 pm

JAFFA'S BLOOD TEST RESULTS. STILL WAITING ON TONGUE PICTURES.

GRIBBLES VETERINARY PATHOLOGY

Dr E. Lee
Animal/s: 49431
Guinea Pig
JAFFA
DOB: 15/12/2014

Collected: 08/11/19 00:00 Subm.No: 199013994 Lab No.: 19-9013994

GENERAL HAEMATOLOGY Lab Number: 9013994 Date: NS0

Red Cell Count 5.80 x 10 12 /L
Haemoglobin 149 g/L
Hct 0.41 L/L
MCV 71 fL
MCH 25.7 pg
MCHC 364 g/L
White Cell Count 3.0 x 10 9 /L
Neutrophils 59 % 1.8 x 10 9 /L
Band Forms 0 % 0.0 x 10 9 /L
Lymphocytes 32 % 1.0 x 10 9 /L
Monocytes 6 % 0.2 x 10 9 /L
Eosinophils 3 % 0.1 x 10 9 /L
Basophils 0 % 0.0 x 10 9 /L

FILM MORPHOLOGY: RBC: Normal . WBC: 1+ toxic change, 1+ Dohle
bodies. Platelets: Adequate . The haematology was performed using
a Lithium Heparin blood sample.

GENERAL BIOCHEMISTRY SPECIMEN : SERUM

Sodium 134 mmol/L
Potassium 4.4 mmol/L
Na/K 30.5
Chloride 104 mmol/L
Bicarbonate 22 mmol/L
Anion Gap 12 mmol/L
Urea 5.8 mmol/L
Creatinine 45 umol/L
Calcium 2.44 mmol/L
Phosphate 0.33 mmol/L
Magnesium 0.9 mmol/L
Protein 43 g/L
Albumin 25 g/L
Globulin 18 g/L
T. Bilirubin < 1 umol/L
Alk Phos 60 U/L
ALT 81 U/L
GGT 13 U/L

GRIBBLES VETERINARY PATHOLOGY

Dr E. Lee
Animal/s: 49431
Guinea Pig
JAFFA
DOB: 15/12/14

Collected: 08/11/19 00:00 Subm.No: 199013994 Lab No.: 19-9013994
Cholesterol 0.6 mmol/L

SERUM INDICES (Clear/+/++/+++/++++)
Icterus index Clear
Lipaemia index Clear
Haemolysis index Clear

Final pathologist interpretation: While we don't have specific ranges
for guinea pigs, based on normal general mammalian ranges there appears
to be reduced Na and Cl, and reduced proteins. With PU/PD consider
urinalysis if possible to assess for renal protein losses, assess for
any internal parasites (faecal screen, history of prophylaxis). There
does not appear to be an azotaemia to directly suggest renal
disease/failure.
Blood glucose should also be checked in-house as a precaution for
diabetes mellitus.

Dr Christine Bayley.

Amended to add - please note also there are toxic changes in the white
cells which is consistent with an inflammatory focus - consider
urinalysis and culture, assess for occult abscesses eg dental disease.
Dr Christine Bayley.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:05 am

I don't really see anything remarkable here to my largely untrained eye, other than the sizable air pockets. I double-checked protein values in guinea pigs (Quesenberry, Ferrets, Rabbits & Rodents, 3rd Edition), and it has a range between 44-66 g/L. Could be a sign of early stage renal failure, or could be something as simple as a nutritional deficiency---either from diet or from her chronic intestinal problems causing her to not metabolize nutrients efficiently. Protein in the urine would help with diagnosing possible kidney issues, I believe.