Fuzzbutt's Medical

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:44 pm

That is encouraging! I hope she stays bright and cheerful!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:07 pm

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:44 pm

Finally caught up to Dr. W (part my fault and part his, that it took so long). He checked the x-rays I sent him, but couldn't really see them any better than my photos of the x-rays because they were digital. He said that most times if you don't have the latest software for that particular product, this happens. He sticks with film for that reason.

Anyway, after discussing her x-rays, we talked about her digestive system and how limited her diet has to be. I gotta say this doc does like to talk, and he's absolutely open to new information. Talking about ways to get Vit C into her led us to poop soup, which led him to say that this is something that he's NEVER heard mention at any of the conferences he's been to. When I added that you could take poop from a healthy pig and give soup from made with that to a different pig, he was REALLY shocked. He apparently has at least one other client with pig(s) who is just as interested in our pets' health as I am, and Dr. W says he also learns a lot from him.

I'm going to make an appt to take Fuzz and Peek back next month for film x-rays. I'll also be taking all the info I can find on heart pigs, because I strongly suspect Fuzz is a heart pig, even if I can't see very many symptoms. Of course, if the arthritis is throughout her body, it could explain a lot. Dr. W says that since guinea pigs are so small, by the time arthritic changes can be seen, the pig is already in excruciating pain. Hearing that, and thinking about it, causes ME to hurt for her. Poor little creature.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:41 pm

Keep in mind the cecal feces (special stinky poops) are the best. Also, there is info on human intestines being repopulated by bacteria. Sometimes it is put into a capsule so it can get to the intestines and bypasses the digestive juices. There is some belief it helps - other belief (by vets) that the bacteria would be killed in the stomach by digestive action.

The point (as you know) is to try to get good bacteria in the intestines if there is an overgrowth of bad bacteria.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:08 pm

We both know it's those "specials" that need to be used. I can't see a difference no matter how hard I try. Am I right in thinking that I really shouldn't be seeing many of them at all, since the pigs are supposed to eat them? I've seen the pigs hunch over and apparently grab one, I just don't see *it*. But, now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've ever seen Fuzz do it. Also, come to think of it, I almost never see her laying down in any position but stretched out. Curling up/over hurts maybe? Arthritis?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:17 am

If she's stretched out, in my experience she's likely not uncomfortable. If she prefers stretched-out to curled-up, that could be, at least in part, due to arthritis.

Bear in mind that arthritis, and how painful it is, is highly variable by individual animal (human included). You can have a pig with minimal arthritis on x-ray who needs more pain relief to be comfortable than another pig whose x-ray is much worse, but who isn't as uncomfortable. I don't completely agree with the idea that since they're so small, by the time it shows up on x-ray they're in agony. That's way too one-size-fits-all for me.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:15 pm

LOL! Thanks, Talishan, that's comforting.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:57 am

Just a note to remind myself in case she does it again: I heard Fuzz actually squeak today several times. She sounded like a little mouse. No one else was near her; she was on her feet in a corner, totally still. I watched her for a few minutes, then continued cleaning the cage. Geez, my paranoid mind is thinking stones. She shouldn't be having a problem with those, although she does get cilantro every day. Otherwise, her diet consists of only leaf lettuce and carrots, perhaps a very small piece of fruit once a week.

"1/23/2016, 2:23 pm
Talishan
Keep an eye (well, ear) out. You're not being paranoid; that's a sign of stones or UTI. Not necessarily, of course! But just monitor."

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:38 am

Cilantro's like romaine -- it can cause excess urinary calcium in some pigs. I don't feed it to mine at all.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:39 pm

I know, but other than pellets, she doesn't have any other Vit C source available to her. She won't eat Oxbow or human Vit C, except liquid form, and I'm having some challenges finding one that's reasonable with the sugar content.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:14 am

Leaf lettuce and carrots (plus Oxbow pellets; unfortunately they don't like KM's) is what ours get. No other regular supplementation and (touch wood) we haven't had problems yet.

If she really needs supplemental C, if it were me I wouldn't worry about sugar content. They need such a small amount that in my opinion if they need it, the benefit from the C outweighs the harm from sugar.

There's one out there (can't find it now, of course) that might as well be molasses. Needless to say the pigs love it. It's something like 500 mg/mL, though, so you're giving a tenth of a mL. In my experience that's not enough to cause GI upset in a pig that's not otherwise susceptible to it. (A pig that's had a stasis/bloat episode will be a different story.)

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:32 pm

Thank you! That's a relief to me. Fuzz has arthritis and can't tolerate Metacam (unlike Peek who is also arthritic and LOVES the stuff) so I tend to baby her. Well, she IS the baby, only 2 yrs and a month. I've handled her since she was 2 or 3 days old. Her normal diet is leaf lettuce and carrots, maybe once a week she gets a tiny piece of fruit. She LOVES KMS pellets. I suppose I should ask THEM this question, but YOU are here, heeheehee: Do you know the shelf life of their pellets? (Asking mostly for the Vit C in it)