My peeg is not pooping regularly

Vesperia

Post   » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:17 am

Just to give him 0.5ml of simethicone I have to squeeze him so hard I'm worried I crush him. And then hold his head like I want to suffocate him. And he still struggles so much that half the medicine ends up in his face. There's no way I can syringe him water.

I don't understand how come he was drinking and eating when he was feeling much worse than this but now that he's better enough to be himself again he doesn't want to do these things anymore.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:21 am

See www.guinealynx.info/.html

I am sorry you do not have a good vet nearby.

Vesperia

Post   » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:03 pm

Thank you Lynx, I was able to give him his probiotics for the first time without spilling most of it on him. But he lost 25 grams today already, in just about 12 hours. So I decided i should go and get a fluid injection just to be on the safe side. I also wanted to talk to the doctor about the bad meds.

So I get there and my regular doctor isn't in, I find instead a younger colleague of his. I explain the whole thing to him and he laughs in my face.

He asks me if I read about it on the internet with the "the internet doesn't know anything" tone. Then he tells me that's third generation cephalosporin, don't have anything to do with penicillin and anyway those are safe for guinea pigs, so he can't be sick because of it.

I tell him about the simethicone and probiotics and he looked at me like he was about to tell me that's why Noty is feeling sick. Instead he pulled out a book and together we read all the meds for guinea pigs. Cephaloxine was in there, simethicone wasn't. Then he goes "see?".

Then he gave him something for the bloat, but refused to do a subq. I told him how much weight Noty lost and he went "yep, that's a lot". Then he told me to stop everything I've been giving him.

Oh, and then he told me to make him run, which isn;t a bad advice, but the he added to he it until he starts to fart. I told him they can't fart and he looked amazed.

I'll go back tomorrow to talk to another doctor.

That vet visit made me feel very unsettled.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:53 pm

Take a look at the references at the bottom of the page. The medications are on a warning list for a reason.

I'm talking veterinary books. See mention of one on www.guinealynx.info/.html and their reference to the "PLACE" rule.

"Brown and Rosenthal ... describe the PLACE rule as a rough guideline for antibiotics to avoid. [PLACE -- penicillin, lincomycin, ampicillin, amoxicillin, cephalosporins, clindamycin, erythromycin]"

Cephaloxine is a cephalosporin, I believe. Thing is, when there are safer meds, you use them instead.

Vesperia

Post   » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:16 am

Thank you, Lynx. Unfortunately that was a guy who just found out guinea pigs don't fart, told me to stop all treatment I was giving him and was pulling faces at me while I was trying to explain it to him.

I just came back from the doctor (another one) and she told me to keep on doing what I was already doing. I mentioned the teeth incidents to her (which kept happening) and she told me she can't check on his back teeth without anesthesia. I was hesitant, because anesthesia sounds dangerous, so I took him back home.

Can you tell me how a procedure like that usually happens? Is it general anesthesia or just local? How dangerous it is? Should I go back tomorrow and let her do it?

I do have some good news, his bloat is gone! That's a small relief at least.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:21 am

If the bloat is gone, that is wonderful! Not rereading, but I expect you have looked at the info and links here? www.guinealynx.info/.html#bloat

There are various opinions and techniques on tooth examination and treatment. An otoscope can allow a vet to do a superficial exam. A skull xray gives a much better look at what is going on.

www.guinealynx.info/.html
www.guinealynx.info/.html

An inhalant anesthetic when properly used (with monitoring) should allow a better examination, though there are a few skilled vets in the UK that perform examinations without anesthetic.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:05 am

Uh, whoever thinks guinea pigs can't fart hasn't been around my three.

Vesperia

Post   » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:25 pm

I did read those links, but I am still confused about how the actual procedure goes down or if Noty even has something wrong with his teeth.

He sometimes acts like he has something stuck in his teeth, but not every time he eats. It sometimes happens after he drinks water too. I heard him gnashing his teeth earlier. He didn't really have an appetite today either, although with his bloat gone this shouldn't happen, as far as I understand it.

I'm from Romania, and she did try to look at his mouth without anesthetic, but he wouldn't let her. I can ask her to try again tomorrow.

Vesperia

Post   » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:34 pm

Not even 13 hours after the vet visit where everything was okay, and his tummy feels bad again. I don't understand what could be the cause. I preventively put him on the toothbrush today at noon and then in the evening and I made sure he got plenty of exercise today.

I decided I'll wait to see how he does until morning, see if he gains any weight, and if he doesn't then we'll definitely visit the vet again and I'll also ask about what type of anesthesia she's using.

Vesperia

Post   » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:03 pm

By the way, the name of the medicine he got yesterday is No Spa, I think that helped with his bloat then. The doctor didn't give him anything today, and Google isn't helping much, so I wanted to ask if there's a longer treatment that he should be undergoing with No Spa.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:10 pm

I wouldn't give it at all. It's an antispasmodic, meaning that it helps with spasms. You haven't listed any symptom that sounds to me like a spasm.

Crazy4me

Post   » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:04 pm

I believe that it would make the bloat worse seeing how the med is an antispasmodic. In fact it would slow down or stop the intestine from pushing out gas and or feces.