Dental problems

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:09 pm

If she's eating hay, and isn't having any problems eating, and isn't losing weight, I'd probably wait until it looks like something is going wrong before taking her back in.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:03 am

I have never tried this but wonder if some pigs would be cooperative enough to let you have a "feel" of the molars to see if there are any spurs forming. Other than that, I am with bpatters. No visible problems eating, stable weight - those would be signs that she's doing pretty well.

seleneneo

Post   » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:18 am

I need help with my piggies
But thought I should give an update on Truffle
Her dental problems are gone and she hasn't had any dental surgery since my last entry
But lately both of them have been cutting down on vegetables
They have been eating much more hay than before tho.. their weight is dropping a Lil... maybe 10g but other than that nothing..
They still eat their tomatoes but for the other veggies they seem to have lost interest (maybe they are bored of the same old veggies?)
I tried to introduce other veggies that are safe for them but they are still not that interested in them.
I feel that their teeth isn't as strong as before too...
I was thinking of getting some vitamin c syrup (hand fed, not for putting in their water) and giving them..

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:03 am

Can you give a more complete description of their diet?

seleneneo

Post   » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:07 pm

Their diet consist of
Oxbow timothy pellets
Timothy hay
1 baby carrot per piggy per day
1 cherry tomato per piggy per day
Butterhead
Rommaine
Wheatgrass
Chinese coriander
Those on top are the ones I give regularly... I sometimes switchEd it up and incorporate the ones below
Bell peppers (once every 2 weeks)
Coral lettuce
Red oak lettuce
Radicchio
Spinach

For fruits I give them once a week..
Mainly apples strawberries or blueberries

For treats I give them the oxbow cranberry treats about 3 times a week per piggy

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:10 pm

They need bell peppers every day. None of the stuff that you're feeding them daily has much vitamin C in it, and peppers do.

What's the total amount of veggies each pig gets per day? One cup? Two cups? More?

Actually, except for the vitamin C, the hay is more important than the veggies. So I wouldn't worry too much about them ignoring veggies if they're still eating hay.

seleneneo

Post   » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:02 am

Okay I will give them bell peppers everyday from now on. They have 1 cup of veggies 2 times a day. Used to that is.. they didn't eat much hay in the past but ate alot of veggies and it's the opposite now.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:33 am

Eating lots of hay is great. Ditto bpatters on the peppers. The fresher, the higher the amount of vitamin C (it starts deteriorating once picked). Are the Oxbow pellets reasonably fresh? There should be a date on the bag. They should be a source of vitamin C too. Keep in mind the romaine seems to result in excess calcium secretions and for guinea pigs with bladder problems/stones, we have been recommending other leafy greens instead.

seleneneo

Post   » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:51 pm

Both of them are losing around 15g each.. I'm supplementing them with cc but they are still not eating vege
Is there something wrong with their teeth and should I bring them to the vet to get it check soon?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:55 pm

Watch how they eat. Try their favorite, freshest vegs to see if they are just not interested.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:34 pm

Losing 15 grams each over what period of time? That's less than 3 teaspoons of water, and isn't a significant weight loss unless it happens day after day over a period of several days. Otherwise, it can be accounted for by whether the pig has pooped or peed more since the day before, or eaten a little less.

seleneneo

Post   » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:59 am

They lost 15g each in a span of 2 weeks?
It's quite significant for them cos they are small pigs
Usual weight is around 500g and 600g for each of them