Adopting a Skinny that has"some deadly genetic resp dis

Cramer
Supporter 2018

Post   » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:18 pm

Hi all. I found a Skinny Pig at a local dog rescue (yeah, I know, kind of weird they have her) and was wanting to adopt her. The current owner emailed me that "She is a carrier of some disease. The vet doesn't know which one, but it's not uncommon. She has been placed with two other guinea pigs and both have died of respiratory distress fairly quickly."

Now, knowing what I know now from Guinea Lynx, it sounds like she may have had a respiratory infection that she spread to other pigs, sure, but this person is making it out like it's genetic and not treatable. I'm only communicating with this person via email so far, but it really makes me wonder why something that "isn't uncommon" is something that a vet doesn't even know the name of.

So, I turn to you guys. I know that it's possible to have chronic respiratory illness, but I've never heard of a chronic contagious one except for something like tuberculosis or something. I highly doubt that she has anything permanent. I will of course, however, quarantine her in a different room for at least two weeks if I decide to adopt her, but will it really be necessary to keep her away from other pigs permanently just because she got two other pigs ill in the past?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:45 pm

Quarantine her for at least three weeks -- that's the amount of time it usually takes for some illness to show up.

And take her to a good exotic vet to have her checked out. There's no such thing as a genetic respiratory infection, and there's no proof that the other pigs died of something this pig had.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:47 pm

Doubtful that it is genetic, she needs treatment. What signs of respiratory illness is she showing? Is it confirmed that she passed whatever it is to the other pigs? Maybe they were all exposed and she is a lone survivor?

Furthermore, genetic traits can only be passed by breeding, they are not contagious. It doesn't sound like the people who have her are very knowledgeable.

If you adopt her, she needs to be seen by an exotics vet who has cavy experience.

Cramer
Supporter 2018

Post   » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:09 pm

I'm waiting for a reply now. I have no idea how long ago she had her illness, but I also don't think that this person has much guinea pig experience...I just wanted to run it by you guys before I overlooked something. Apparently right now she doesn't have any symptoms of illness, and I'm thinking the lone survivor thing is probably the most likely scenario.

Thankfully there's a really good exotics vet near where I live (for anyone who's familiar with my old posts, I've since moved to Orlando). If this person lets me adopt her, the first thing I'll do is schedule an appointment, and I'll definitely keep her in a separate room for 3 weeks.

I'm really excited that I actually managed to find a female skinny pig from a local rescue, so I'm doing everything I can to make sure there's a good transition and I'm not putting anyone in harms way.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:05 pm

Your plan sounds like a good one, just keep her in quarantine as you would any new arrival. If she shows any signs of illness, have her seen. Good luck! Please keep us updated.

Cramer
Supporter 2018

Post   » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:59 pm

So, we finally adopted her after several days of phone tag. We took her to the exotic vet that supposedly gave this diagnosis, and the vet stated that every time they've seen her she's been perfectly healthy and she has no history of URIs of any type per their records.

The lady I adopted her from, while nice and caring, presumably just was trying to scare me to prevent me from breeding her, because she gave me a long lecture about breeding before I could take her...Except the thing is, I don't believe in breeding, and all I have are two female pigs.

Anyways, she's perfectly healthy and very curious. She'll be quarantined for two weeks then introduced to the herd. I'm still in shock that I managed to get a skinny pig from a rescue! I never thought I'd own one without having to go to a breeder, which I would never do. She cost me 100 bucks, but she was worth every penny and I'm sure the other pigs will love her. well, I hope lol

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:01 am

That's a different twist than I expected! I guess her heart was in the right place, but can't say much for her method. It is so much better to dissuade people from breeding an animal with the truth rather than try to scare them with lies. There are enough good (true) reasons why people should not breed their sow.

Congrats on your new family member!

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:17 pm

Just because I love skinnies--how is your new piggy doing?

WICharlie

Post   » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:06 pm

It's actually very unusual for a skinny pig to end up in rescue. I never saw one in our rescue in the 6-7 years I was a volunteer. So I'll bet the person who does the rescuing was being especially cautious to find the right home. I could see being worried about someone wanting to breed her if she is a skinny. That business about the pig being a carrier is kind of weird though. Why didn't she just say that she was concerned about the pig being bred and ask to see your setup? It's what I would have done.

You will find that your new pig eats much more than your other pigs and will also have more "output." Skinnies have a higher need for nourishment to keep themselves warm. You may have to also keep the heat a little higher in your home to keep her comfortable.