What is normal guinea pig pee and how to tell if one is pregnant

kailaeve1271

Post   » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:34 pm

Would there happen to be any Vets near Columbus, GA? I keep researching and I cannot find any that are outside of base that look at guinea pigs (I'm not military so they will not allow me to see their vet).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:40 pm

Have you looked here?
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewforum.php?f=97

Normal pee:
normal.html

Pregnancy related issues:
reproduction.html

kailaeve1271

Post   » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:27 am

I have now. Thank you for showing that to me! I definitely wouldn't have found them otherwise. I will call and set up an appointment today since the vet who looked at them was not a vet who could look at guinea pigs.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:22 am

What are the signs of bloat? My guinea pig (the one I originally thought was pregnant and to make this easier her name is Charlotte) has a swollen body. It's only around her stomach but it is not hard. It's very squishy and kind of goes out to the sides instead of all around. It kind of feels like a squishy sack and when I press harder to feel if there is any hardness she yells at me and I get scared I'm hurting her (yes she was treated for mites). I thought maybe she was just fat but her sister Jitterbug is now eating as much as she is and is nowhere near that size. She does not appear to be in pain though

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:14 am

You are still considering that your guinea pigs may be pregnant? Bloat advice here:
emergency.html#bloat

kailaeve1271

Post   » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:16 am

It's possible but the only sign is the size right now. How much are 4 month old guinea pigs supposed to weigh? I know she's not fully grown yet. I just find her shape odd right now and I'm trying to look at pregnancy as a small chance since I do not see or know of any other signs she would be giving. Like I said her stomach isn't hard yet and I have not made any sudden changes in her diet. I have my mom updating me on how she is while I'm not home though just in case. She kind of resembles this but very slightly smaller. Then again she may get this size in a few days based on the rate she is growing (excuse me if it does not come out as a photo and I cannot upload personal picture of her on here as much as I've tried):

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:14 am

She is looking pregnant. Do not manipulate her sides so much! Be very gentle. In time you will likely feel the pups. You don't want to injure them.

Do you want me to add your pic permanently to this thread? The url is shady.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:48 am

Probably not if it seems shady. It was the closest picture I could find to her but it can be taken off if it's going to cause trouble and thank you! I will be a little more careful. Would you have a guess on how far along she may be and should I put her in a smaller cage when she's about due/already had pups? Also when can I introduce her sister to them? Also should I keep a vet number closevy or take her to the vet when she's about ready? That is if she is pregnant. I will stay skeptical for a few days but still research more. (I have read over your pregnancy link so I don't feel completely blind at least)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:58 am

No, the picture is okay, the url to access it looks strange because it does not end in jpg so it's likely it will fail in the future and future readers will not have the pic as a reference.

You can always email me clear, crisp, medical pictures if they illustrate an issue in the medical forum to put up. I would need your board name and a link to your thread (copy and paste from the browser window).

I don't know how far along she may be.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:02 am

Okay thank you!

JX4

Post   » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:24 pm

Did you say Charlotte may be pregnant and is only 4 months old? (Forgive me if I'm confused about this.)

If so, you need to be shoveling calcium and Vitamin C into her. One of my guinea pig moms was only about 4 to 5 months old when she gave birth, and the developing pups leeched so much calcium from her bones that her hind leg femurs broke either before or during delivery. (The "heads" that fit into the hip sockets broke off of both femurs, and the hip sockets themselves disolved.) It was an expensive, painful fix for her (she is now without hip sockets but otherwise living a normal, happy life). We didn't realize she was pregnant until well along in the pregnancy. We did give her alfalfa hay and extra vitamin C at that point, but it wasn't enough.

Just trying to help you avoid what we went through.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:22 pm

OH NO! I'm so sorry to here that, however, I'm also very happy you were able to keep her alive! And yes I was told she was around 4 months. I believe she is coming onto 5 months now but I'm no expert. Is there any veggies I can give that are high enough in both? As for alfalfa pellets I was planning to wait until later on but I'll have to order them which may take a few days. My local pet stores only sell rabbit alfalfa pellets (I looked when I bought them. I read it's good to give to them while they're young). Also when feeding things high in vitimans do I need to put a barrier between my Piggies so Jitterbug (nonpregnant pig) won't eat it or is it safe for her as well? I've done some research and she appears to be about 6 weeks unless she doesn't have many piglets. Is this early enough to help?