Problem with leg

guineapig230

Post   » Mon May 22, 2017 2:29 am

We purchased 2 guinea pigs from a seller online. One of the guinea pigs legs doesn't seem to function. I just noticed this now, but I'm not sure what to do. It looks like one of the legs is paralyzed, but I'm not expert. This particular pig is 5 weeks old, and we got him just last week. I don't have money right now to put into a vet if its not as serious.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? It is hard for me to even check closely because they are still skittish.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 22, 2017 10:53 am

Do check closely. Pick him up and examine the leg. Feel carefully to see if there is a break. Note if he is dragging it and the fur is rubbing off the top. Call the seller and find out what you can. Very gently manipulate the leg. Watch for signs of pain.

Do not hesitate to pick up the guinea pig and check this out very thoroughly. You should start weighing these pigs weekly and this particular pig daily as weight changes (in this case, not putting on weight) may indicate the need to see a vet.

Any guinea pig owner should be prepared to get veterinary care if there is something wrong.
pain.html
weigh.html
healthycavy.html

guineapig230

Post   » Mon May 22, 2017 11:02 am

He eats fine, only grinds his teeth when I take his brother away from him.