Would appreciate input on probably terminal pig.

BlackYazra

Post   » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:51 pm

First post, sorry if I'm messing anything up. I'll try to be succinct, but I'm not sure where to start or what's relevant. We have a single 6yo (ish) male, been alone since his buddy passed suddenly from a brain tumor, but adjusted very well, so there's that. He has arthritis, and is on loxicom for this.

This issue I want advice on is this: He has had a large lump on his rear left leg for a month or two (well, it looked like he was standing strangely for a while and it was only when my wife mentioned the 'lump' in passing that it really made me think properly about it. It is a bit less than the size of a ping pong ball, but totally encloses the upper part of his leg so was far less noticeable. He still has movement in the leg, though this is reducing to the point where sometimes he is obviously trying to lift it to scratch but nothing happens. He has been to the vet (PDSA, not the best available, I know, but there is no money for anything else) and after a very short examination we are told it is a large calcifying bone tumor and the prognosis is that, well, we will probably not need more loxicom than the half bottle we already had. There was also a thought that it could be a badly healed break, but this was unlikely seeing as he has has no trouble walking on it, nor really shown any signs of distress or reduced activity recently. Plus that, if I'm honest, his use of the leg has been getting worse rather than better poor chap.

I have been trying to research this situation, but it seems this is a more rare type of cancer in guineas, so I thought I would post and see if anyone here could give me some insight. Specifically, I'd like to know if this life expectancy sounds about right (as in he will be lucky to see August). Also if there is anything you would suggest to improve his quality of life in the meantime as his mobility reduces. Lastly, although I sound resigned, mostly out of pragmatism if I'm honest, to this really being bone cancer, is there anything that might point more toward it being a break that got missed, maybe because of the pain meds he was already taking.

/sigh I guess im just looking to make sure we are doing everything possible to help him with our limited resources at the end of the day, any advice towards that would be amazing. Thanks for the amazing community btw, it has been very helpful over the years to a lurker.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:49 pm

First -- unlikely to be a healed break if it's growing larger. What diagnostic(s) did the vet use to conclude a bone tumor? Was the area x-rayed? Did they attempt a fine needle aspirate on the mass?

Secondly, if it starts to give him pain there are other meds that'll go 'above and beyond' Loxicom. Tramadol is a mild narcotic that can be used quite successfully in guinea pigs without zonking them out.

Third -- if/as his mobility reduces, make sure he can reach his hay, pellets, and water. Here's what we did for one completely immobilized pig -- he has hay in a ring all around him, a few pellets scattered in with the hay, and his water bottle on a movable rack rig made out of a bent grid so that we could keep his water in front of him. He was bedded on layers of towels, and we switched at least the top ones out twice a day:

Sorry the pic is so dark -- this was years ago with an old phone.

My strongest advice is to see if there's any way possible at all to get him to another vet. I question this diagnosis, especially after just a very brief exam. It's possible this is just a cyst that could be surgically removed with an excellent prognosis. I understand funds are tight, but 6-ish isn't ancient. Getting up there, yes, but this could be entirely treatable, with a long good time ahead of him yet still.

Best to him and please keep us posted on how he's doing.

BlackYazra

Post   » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:53 am

As to the first point... she touched it. I was unimpressed but that surgery has no real diagnostic equipment, that needs a referral to the central hospital, and they don't like to do that I'm thinking (I hate to say it but neither do I, I suffer with mental health issues and the big difference as a client between the local surgery and the central hospital is that the surgery is grateful for whatever donation you can make and the pet hospital wags their fingers and makes you feel wretched for daring to use their services while actually being poor enough to be allowed to use their services). I've carried on looking around since I posted, and although it may be difficult to get him there I have found an exotics vet within my city(ish) that seems to offer free second opinions for exactly this reason, gonna try to book him in ASAP, since there is at least someone out there agrees with my opinion that it seemed a bit too cursory.

About the tramadol: good tip, its class C in the UK however, so that's down to the vet.

Lastly, great tip about the water bottle, although he is still fully mobile (well on the flat anyway, I've noticed when he's out and about he can't clamber over obstacles anymore) that is one of the things that had been bothering me, how to make it easily available for him going forward. Think it may be time to switch the last section of his cage from bedding to towels soon also, we already had to retire the straw section because he had given up trying to lift his leg to get through it.

Thanks so much for the input anyway, will update if I have news.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:24 pm

If the vet "just touched it", that diagnosis is b*llocks. (I'm in the US, I'm taking a guess that's the right use of the word.)

It could be serious, it might not be; it could be cancerous, it might not be; it could be an infection treatable with antibiotics, it could be something best left alone.

You are taking the best approach in light of your financial situation. Make things as easy as possible for him to get around; monitor his weight, eating, drinking, output and behavior. If he continues to behave normally and is bright in himself, it may not be bothering him at all except in reduced range of motion.

Please do your very best to get him a more cavy-knowledgeable second opinion. This may be eminently treatable. If it's not causing him pain/debility, that's the most important thing.

My very best to him and to you. Please keep us posted.

(Lynx -- it looks like you lightened up my picture again -- thank you! :-)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:57 pm

No I didn't ( lightened up your picture), but I can try!
(will go do that now)

Edit: I lightened it a bunch (see your post above). If it is acceptable to you, I can replace your original pic with it.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:43 am

Lynx -- *much* better (you can actually see the pig). Please do replace it. Thank you!