How to make a chin-sling?

DorothyUranga

Post   » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:55 pm

I asked on another forum how to make it and someone recommended me to write it here, on Guinea Lynx.

Everything started almost a month ago, May 24th, my guinea pig Solecito was eating slower than usual. After seeing him closer, malocclusion came to my mind. The same day I went to the vet and it was confirmed, his molars were bigger. That Saturday, May 27th, we went for some blood tests, then on June 1st his molars were filed.

He wasn't doing fine, though, he looked at food and tried to eat, but once he chewed a little, gave up.

For a moment I thought he was depending the syringe so I decided to give him food every 5 hours instead of every 4 like I was doing. Then returned to the vet because I didn't see any progress and he lost 110 gr (he is now 860 gr).

Once the vet saw his teeth, those were longer than the first time. Took some x rays and saw his roots are growing the opposite side. Then, yesterday June 22nd, got his teeth filed again.

I remember reading a case where the piggie, the first hours after surgery, he was eating again. And I also remember this piggie, Willie, who didn't recover the first time after his surgery and the owner thought "maybe it's the jaw".

So here I am.

I know Solecito has the same as Willie and I really need your help.

I don't know how to make the chin-sling, but I have the material ready. I don't want to harm Solecito, so that is why I'm asking. How should I measure him, how can I make the pattern? I've seen the drawings of it, though, but maybe some advice you can give me?

Thank you in advance.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:17 pm

The inventor of the Chin-Sling is a founding member of this forum. Contact her for information on measuring and ordering a pattern:

https://www.guinealynx.info/chinsling.html

Her email address is about 3/4 down that page in blue text.

Best to Solecito and to you. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:27 pm

Her patterns are very reasonable in price and the advice you will get for its use is invaluable. It is absolutely worth your while to write her and purchase a pattern. They are made of neoprene (you should be able to find some).

DorothyUranga

Post   » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:29 pm

Thank you! I've sent her an email.

Also, yesterday I tried to make one by myself, but it was too big for Solecito.

Other thing is that I noticed he doesn't want to eat that much... I hope he will once I try the chin-sling...

DorothyUranga

Post   » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:59 pm

So I tried again another chin sling I made, his size, but a little bit more tighter.

I felt really nervous and decided to take it off, since I'm afraid to hurt him...he seemed nervous as well, very anxious trying to take it off. He was like this for seven or ten minutes, moving from one side to the other.

They haven't answered my email, though.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:00 am

Give her a day or two to answer the email -- don't get discouraged just yet.

Be sure to handfeed him (or keep handfeeding him) if he's not eating enough to maintain his weight.

https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:50 am

You really need a pattern. Don't guess. I too am pretty sure she will reply.

DorothyUranga

Post   » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:40 pm

It's me again! Yesterday I made the chin sling and it looks like it's working. He chews a bit more faster, or at least that's what I feel.

I'll keep you updated though.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:36 pm

Did you order a pattern?

DorothyUranga

Post   » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:33 pm

Hello again. Yes I did, but I'm a bit worried since Solecito acts very anxious, while wearing the chin sling, when I try to feed him. Everytime I touch his head he runs away very scared.

He's been eating by his own, not that much.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:30 pm

Read how I handled a jaw problem with my Rosie last year. Maybe it will give you some tips.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:50 pm

I would also write the person who sold you the pattern for advice.